Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

Well, there's blasphemy, and there's blasphemy...

Granted. So, Bloody really isn't blood, but a sort of slurred "by-the-lady." I reckon this is a form of using the Virgin name in vain. And akin to Judas Priest, but not as bad as using the Sons name.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Riaz,
Yes, it's yet another synonym!
I think Emma's been watching too much Midsomer Murders. That Bergerac bloke has always had a potty mouth... ;)

Yes, basically. But I actually think that most of the people that use it don't even know what it means. Not that that makes it OK, though.

There you go, thinking that you are pretty fit when it comes to english - and then someone comes along with an explanation for why a word is mildly offensive...

...you live and learn!

I heard (and used) "bloody" a great many times when I was living in London, but never had the slightest idea I was blaspheming.

Someone care to analyse a "Bloody Mary" then?

dating can be fun...

Never thought I would hear my mom tell me not to worry if some guy asked if he could knock me up in the morning...

that was alot of years ago tho, don't know if it still means the same today

There you go, thinking that you are pretty fit when it comes to english - and then someone comes along with an explanation for why a word is mildly offensive...

...you live and learn!

I heard (and used) "bloody" a great many times when I was living in London, but never had the slightest idea I was blaspheming.

Someone care to analyse a "Bloody Mary" then?

OK since no one has posted, I'll give a go.

Bloody Mary, I believe, was a Catholic queen who burned some 300+ Protestants at the stake. I'm not sure how the drink became popular. I prefer Caol Ila myself.

Here's a strange side note...

And speaking of burning people at the stake, Americans celebrated Guy Fawkes' Day for 170 years before George Washington discouraged the celebration. Apparently, celebrations in Boston got way out of hand compared to the UK version. It began to wane only when American Protestants started fighting the British protestants and replaced "Colony" with "State" with the help of French Catholics who probably wouldn't have been too keen on celebrating the fifth of November anyway.

Although it is not widespread we still have bonfire societies here celebrating each 11-5.

Last edited:
As for Fanny being a commonly used name, you've got to go back a ways. I didn't check every decade, but it did not show up in the top 1000 in the 50's, 70', or 2000's.

Emma, Bryony, please confirm that I have this correct: in the UK referrering to a gal's fanny would be nearly as vulger as referring to her v = array(99,117,110,116,63):for i = 0 to 4: s = s & chr$(v(i)): next i : ? s

Because in the U.S. it's quite innocuous. Google "fanny pack" and you'll get over a million hits. I would not think twice if one of my children were to say "fanny" in reference to someone's anatomy. Indeed a dog could bite a lad in the fanny just as well as a lass. Here I'd prefer they say "fanny" to "butt" or "as$".

Last edited:
Er.....

Emma, Bryony, please confirm that I have this correct: in the UK referrering to a gal's fanny would be nearly as vulger as referring to her v = array(99,117,110,116,63):for i = 0 to 4: s = s & chr$(v(i)): next i : ? s

*tumbleweed*

Probably! It is vulgar rather than offensive, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozdemr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back