Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

Exactly! That's sort of what I meant. But not in an irritating Germaine Greer type way.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I'm guessing which synonym you have in mind (!), but I think it is more the sound of that particular word when it's used than its literal meaning. It's particularly vehement generally. (I do occasionally hear it used in the same way that one would use 'idiot' and it seems less offensive purely because it's not uttered in the same way.) Regardless, it certainly should not be used with the frequency it is in everyday life - or maybe I just spend too much time in London. :)

No, no Germaine Greer. And I may have to not reclaim it while my 3yo is around, either. ;)

I never hear anyone say it. Except on telly. But I agree, when uttered without venom it is much less offensive. Although Bryony may disagree!

I never hear anyone say it. Except on telly. But I agree, when uttered without venom it is much less offensive. Although Bryony may disagree!

Just to clarify please, are we all talking about a certain four letter word beginning with C? I ask because Emma says she never hears it except on telly. I would have thought this is the one word that would never make it to the small screen, hence my confusion. If it is this word, what's it doing on telly? If it is not, what are we talking about?

We certainly have offensive words in the States, but another one that does not connote the same offense in American English is the word Bloody. For example, the Yes song, Bloody well right. Can you explain how this is offensive?

No, I wouldn't use it around my three year old either, but also because it is not part of my vocabulary.

On a side note, have you seen the Orbitz dirty mouth commercials where they are in a heated row using innocuous words like, "What the French Toast?"

Is the word ' bloody' more or less offensive in America? It isn't that bad here, at all. It just means 'By the lady!' ie, the Virgin Mary. It is blasphemy.

The C word is the other word we were talking about, Riaz, and I have NO idea what telly Emma has been watching! :-) Not the sort of telly I watch, anyway! ;-) I hear it mostly between idiot men in pubs who have had a little too much and want to show off somewhat.

yes riaz. I've not really heard it on telly but I don't watch much telly.

I think I first heard it in the Film Snatch. (NO NO NO - Snatch as in grab)

I don't think Bloody is offensive - Although it is not a word I would allow my kids to say. I put it on the same lever as fart & ****.

However I believe it is blasphemus (sp?l) Its short for By Our Mary - Similar to "Oh God"

Is the word ' bloody' more or less offensive in America? It isn't that bad here, at all. It just means 'By the lady!' ie, the Virgin Mary. It is blasphemy.

The C word is the other word we were talking about, Riaz, and I have NO idea what telly Emma has been watching! :-) Not the sort of telly I watch, anyway! ;-) I hear it mostly between idiot men in pubs who have had a little too much and want to show off somewhat.

Blasphemy not offensive? I think you're wrong on that. I don't think you can categorically make that statement, do you believe you can?

The C word is very offensive in the States. Using it would surely provoke some unhappy altercations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozdemr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back