Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

In 1880 Minnie was a very popular name - 6th.

Now this has other meanings under the same subject as above.

v = array(99,117,110,116,63):for i = 0 to 4: s = s & chr$(v(i)): next i : ? s

I was about to say the same thing lol

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Emma, Bryony, please confirm that I have this correct: in the UK referrering to a gal's fanny would be nearly as vulger as referring to her v = array(99,117,110,116,63):for i = 0 to 4: s = s & chr$(v(i)): next i : ? s

Wow! Way better euphemistic avoidance than c-word!

No. In some areas, although not all, fanny would be an acceptable way for a little girl to refer to her vulva - similar to willy for boys. For other people, it would be coarse, but without the offensive connotations ;)

Last edited:
I don't know, you put a thread down for five minutes to go away and do some real work and when you come back someone's written rudies all over it.

*tumbleweed*
Ah, a chance to actually mention Excel? You can use the colon to separate commands on the same line of code. So you can copy and paste that into the Immediate Window in the VBE; hit <ENTER>and it runs as one line of code.

And thank you, Emma, for the clarification.

Yeah - I figured it out after a while - I put it into a little message box and had a little giggle! Thank you for showing me yet another useful trick, though! :-)

I'm only just getting to grips with the immediate window, so it was good practice for me too! Thanks Greg!

Thank you for showing me yet another useful trick, though!
so it was good practice for me too! Thanks Greg!
Jeepers, now I'm wishing I would have come up with a witty example or something.

FWIW - if you're stepping through some complex procedure and you need to do something that involves a loop, knowing this can be quite useful. Let's say you're doing stepping through a procedure that does a lot of file I/O and you've just realized you may not have closed out all the handles properly. You can just pop into the immediate and type
Code:
for h = 1 to 512: close #h : next h
or you're stepping through a procedure and want a quick list of all of the open workbooks and their visibilities
Code:
for each w in workbooks: print w.name, w.windows(1).visible : next w

Could you please also explain what the Windows(1) bit is doing in w.windows(1).visible ?

I think you need it because visible isn't a property of a workbook? But I've just read the Help file on Window and I'm slightly more confused than when I started...

:thick:
Could you run that one past me again, please?
A lot of times, when dealing with datasets that come out of a mainframe or that you need to send to a mainframe or to terminal emulation software, you deal with old fashioned ASCII or EBCDIC files. A lot of times you'll work with those via "handles". Check out the VBA OPEN, CLOSE, FREEFILE, INPUT & PRINT commands.

Could you please also explain what the Windows(1) bit is doing in w.windows(1).visible ?
I think you need it because visible isn't a property of a workbook? But I've just read the Help file on Window and I'm slightly more confused than when I started...
Correct. Turn on the macro recorder and hide a workbook. You'll see that it is not the workbook's visible property that gets set (for this isn't one); it's the workbook's window property's visible property that gets set. (Seems a bit daft to me too, but there you have it.) There isn't a singe "window" property for a workbook, just as there isn't a single "workbook" property for Excel. It's a collection, so you need to provide an index.

Great, now I've gone and taken all the fun outta this thread. Let's see if we can divert...

Tony Blair was on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night. I don't know how it is in the UK, but here comedy shows that focus on political satire are fast becoming a leading source of political news in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstefanakis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back