Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

Are Brits taking advantage of the weak US dollar by traveling here to see America?

Why, or why not? Anyone ever take a bus ride from coast to coast?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
No plans to at the moment although the cheap dollar is tempting. Every time I start to look at going to the USA I end up going somewhere else but I will make it some day I'm sure.

I might be wrong but I would want to buy Dollars when they are as high as possible so I get more for my money.

For instance a souvenier in the US costs me $100.

6 Months ago the exchange rate was about 2 so it would have cost me £50

Now its 1.83 the same souvenier will cost me £54.64

Now assuming I wanted to take $2000 spending money - thats almost £100 more expensive.

The benefit for the UK are people that export to the US.

If I sell my product in the UK for £100 in march I would have sold it for $200 now I can sell it for $183.00 and make the same money.

Thanks for the windows explanation Greg. And for the handles one too - still don't understand, but now I know where to go looking if I ever need to work with mainframes!

Tony Blair was on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night. I don't know how it is in the UK, but here comedy shows that focus on political satire are fast becoming a leading source of political news in the US.

Everything that I know about US politics, I learnt from The West Wing. Sometimes I forget that Jed Bartlet isn't actually the President...

Hi kgkev

Its the terminology that is back to front, that's all. Your theory is correct. However, when you can buy more dollars for your pound, it's the dollar that is weak(er), hence low. So, to get more dollars, you want the dollar to be low against the pound, or the pound to be high against the dollar. Same difference.

Therefore its a bad time to go the US?

Anyway We can learn all we need to know about each other just by watching old 80's reruns & action movies.

Everything that I know about US politics, I learnt from The West Wing. Sometimes I forget that Jed Bartlet isn't actually the President...
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I have the same problem - they say Obama could be the first black president of the US.

Of course he can't that was President David Palmer (24)

Ah but if you did go 3 months ago and you still have some $$$ left - now is the time to sell them back to the bank!!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I have the same problem - they say Obama could be the first black president of the US.

Of course he can't that was President David Palmer (24)

:laugh:

Actually, I think Ms Palin will be the first woman president of the USA before Mr Obama will take that office. All it would take is for Mr McCain to cash in his chips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstefanakis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back