Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

What I meant was I never heard it in the context being discussed now, as a substitute for the posterior. However, I am sure it is the diminutive for Frances.

I assume her name is Fanny? In which case, no - because it her name, and doesn't refer to a lady part.
:confused: I am confused now. It is OK to call somebody Fanny if it is her name, but to call someone that if it is NOT their name is rude. :confused:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Yep. Same with ****. :)

An american fanny is not an rude as an English Fanny (which as cornflake girl says is very rude)

but I suppose it would be acceptable to call a baby fanny (although old fasioned)

I seem to remember Enid Blyton always had a fanny in her books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny

Fanny / fannie short for Francis.

No - the rudeness is just in what it means. It isn't really an insult - but a rude word for a certain part of a girl.

Except you might call someone a **** to be offensive, but I don't think you would call them a fanny?

no, 'fanny' wouldn't be the word I'd use. :diablo:
'fannying about' and 'dicking around' are pretty much interchangeable though.
I personally don't think that fanny is a particularly rude word, but maybe that's just me.

no, 'fanny' wouldn't be the word I'd use. :diablo:
'fannying about' and 'dicking around' are pretty much interchangeable though.
I personally don't think that fanny is a particularly rude word, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah - there are certainly at least two synonyms that are significantly ruder, (which I think you have alluded to!) One of which I consider to be the most offensive word in the English Language.

Do you really? I don't think I do - mainly because it's just a synonym for vulva, so ultimately, how rude can that be? I think terms that are explicitly derogatory about a person's character are actually much worse...

I don't think fanny is rude either. Just a bit coarse.

I had this discussion with someone at work once, and the reason I gave was that it is BECAUSE it is a synonym for vulva that I find it offensive, but maybe for different reasons. If someone uses the word then the intention surely is to be offensive. I find it insulting, as a woman, that someone would choose a word that essentially means what it means to be so offensive.

Does that even make sense? In my head it did. :-S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayneecm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back