What do you do for a living?

I work in the HR department of the UK office of a global company, and it's my job to turn sheets of boring figures into something more exciting and user friendly !!!

For example - our payroll department run some spreadsheets that would make your eyes bleed and go through the most complex process to update formulas that haven't worked since the late nineties. It's my job to stop them spending half a day copying and pasting stuff from one sheet to another... for a start !

It's great in many ways because
a) no one knows how I do what I do (it's just magic)
b) I get given mini projects/problems to solve and therefore learn a bit more VBA in the process !
c) I can justify my mrexcel time as work research !

If I could only get my manager to realise the complexity of what I do then I'd be truely happy !

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Riaz: "Just reach for a cuppa of Brooke Bond "

Oh my... that's b-a-d !

Nyanko -- the one thing I learnt from helping out the HR dept in my old place was that no-one in HR could agree with the Directors on how to calculate turnover !

Employee turnover... I was amazed/impressed/disconcerted at just how many different ways people were calculating this figure... I think in part it depended on to whom the numbers were being presented and in which context!

Riaz... superb !

Richard how strange it is that as a City boy you immediately thought of bonuses... :diablo:

I managed a Fixed income Security portfolio for a bank for the last few years, but have recently switched to doing Asset / Liability management. Basically managing the balance sheet and interest rate risk for the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back