What do you do for a living?

I also give longer deadlines on purpose if something look complicated .... but always manage to get it completed before then and save the day
:laugh:
I have a couple once a year processes that in the beginning took about 3 months to do manually. I have since automated them (with tons of vba) so that now I can do them in about 3 hours. The good part? The folks I do it for (not my employer by the way - and I'm not getting paid any extra for it...) don't know it's been automated! So when I present it a good week or so ahead of "schedule" they think it's just great! :rofl:

Sorry for being dumb (my english is not very good).
And Stormseed, Sorry??? Please! You're speaking more than one language! That's more than most of us self absorbed Americans ever learn to do. My "better half" speaks 4 languages and often apologizes for her English. I just stare and shake my head in awe.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Preggy brain is a well-known condition. One of my colleagues got pregnant a couple of months after me, and thought I was just making excuses about why I was forgetting things, until it hit her too!

My wife and I use her drop in IQ while pregnant as a gauge of how smart the child she is carrying will be. It's very common, when she says or does something stupid while pregnant, for one of us to make a crack about how many brain cells the unborn child is siphoning off.

...Moreover beware the "Preggy Chair" in your office... in under two years the "Preggy Chair" in my office cast it's spell THREE times

Had exactly the same issue when I was newly appointed dept head here 15 years ago. Managing replacements, negotiating returns to work etc, absolute nightmare. And seriously, they all used the same chair!! :eeek:

I'm in business intelligence and finance in a public hospital. Maintain payroll and finance systems, manage integration of data between said systems and others, develop reporting tools etc. I use Excel extensively to tidy up and analyse raw, ugly data from other systems.

And Stormseed, Sorry??? Please! You're speaking more than one language! That's more than most of us self absorbed Americans ever learn to do. My "better half" speaks 4 languages and often apologizes for her English. I just stare and shake my head in awe

Yeah, I know. I speak, write and understand around 5 languages but I am here on a pure English discussion board where no other language is allowed. Very often I do not understand the words that you guys use and hence my apologies. Sorry again ;)

I speak 2 other languages in addition to English: I'm completely fluent in both gibberish and utter rubbish!

:lol:

Crikey! I struggle with English and VBA :stickouttounge:

I wouldn't worry too much, the way "txt spk" is invading pretty much everything we do these days it won't be long before it's only people from outside the UK who speak English correctly :eeek:.

I was having a discussion with a kid on a Facebook board the other day. He was a grammar school kid who obviously wasn't daft but couldn't understand why I had a problem with the way he wrote his posts.

It honestly must have taken him longer to come up with all the variations on writing the same word three different ways in one paragraph than it would have done to use proper spelling and grammar, and it definitely took far longer to read and understand. My grammar and spelling are far from perfect but it really bothers me that kids just don't seem to think it matters these days.

I'll stop now, rant over!!!

Edit: I can get by in French too but would love to know what it actually sounds like as I never learnt it properly and just picked it up from many summer holidays there as a kid.

Dom

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back