UK Excel User Group Conference

Although we expected a diversity of attendees at the conference, I think there were two things that caught us a little unprepared, the number of very inexperienced delegates, and the interaction (we had expected it to be more like a lecture with so many - not that we wanted it that way, but we did expect it).

Again, we are, or at least I am, expecting a less experienced crowd for October, I am working on the premise that by the amount of their online participation, the early birds saw it sooner and are more experienced, the later registrations are less so.

I think it's very difficult to pitch these things.

Whilst I'm by no means in the higher echelons of the experience bracket I arrived correctly expecting a lot of people there to know at least as much as myself if not far more. As with many things Excel it's how you bring it all together that makes the big difference and it's that which made the whole event so intriguing for me.

I'm glad it was less like a lecture although I am looking forward to getting my hands on notes to see what you guys didn't quite get round to in your presentations due to the interruptions.

Dom

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I would still dearly love for someone to put on a high-brow conference for the advanced user ... it was clearly difficult last week given the numbers involved who had never coded VBA and/or never used an Array etc... I was quite surprised by the split - equally there were obviously a lot of people in attendance who were at the other end of the scale.

I think the Array topic on Thurs was particularly difficult - those that had never used them found themselves out of their depth very quickly and unable to follow thereafter whereas those that did have experience probably wanted to go into the really clever stuff which was touched on briefly (IMO) with the likes of date calcs using INDIRECT etc...

IMO I would say that it would be worth offering 2 versions of that topic - one for the newbies/intermediates and one for the more advanced user who has used array's for a while ...

The point/Q I raised at the conf. was that for me a CSE is useful really only when 1 Sumproduct can not achieve the same result, eg for a quick MIN(IF or MAX(IF or even (pre XL2007) AVERAGE(IF ... and these are easy to demo... for the more complex Sum & Count I think it's better to concentrate on Sumproduct given it's greater robustness.

I guess for me the advanced stuff would constitute a general overview of how Arrays are processed etc - ie the general mechanics - to that end I know Colin and yourself have had a few discussions here on that topic and it was that type (level) of discussion that I was expecting last week.

I think you were caught between a rock and a very hard place last Thursday :)

At the end of the day (he says sounding like a footballer) the problem stems from the fact that most XL users believe themselves to be Advanced... the majority obviously are not but it's a subjective thing... I've known a few people in the FP&A field who regard themselves as experts based on the fact they know what a VLOOKUP is (but not a SUMIF!).

EDIT: I should probably qualify the above a little better....

When you consider who the speakers were ("count the MS MVPs") I think it's fair to say that the content of each session w(sh)ould err towards the advanced end of the scale ... There are a lot of trainers who can demonstrate the intermediate stuff with a multitude of examples, not so the advanced stuff ... there was a not inconsiderable amount of XL intellectual wealth present in the room on the Thursday and I wonder if the presenters would have preferred to focus entirely at the top end of their own knowledge base ?

I thoroughly enjoyed it by the way - it's not a criticism - just trying to give constructive feedback ...

I would still dearly love for someone to put on a high-brow conference for the advanced user ... it was clearly difficult last week given the numbers involved who had never coded VBA and/or never used an Array etc... I was quite surprised by the split - equally there were obviously a lot of people in attendance who were at the other end of the scale.

Me too, on both points.

I think the Array topic on Thurs was particularly difficult - those that had never used them found themselves out of their depth very quickly and unable to follow thereafter whereas those that did have experience probably wanted to go into the really clever stuff which was touched on briefly (IMO) with the likes of date calcs using INDIRECT etc...

I agree, I felt I lost it very quickly on Thursday as I was getting calls to explain WTF I was doing/talking about whilst others were leading me ahead of my agenda. My intention was to go exactly where you wanted, but the lack of understanding by some pulled me back.

In retrospect, I dropped too quickly into the more esoteric techniques, not enough lead up. Problem here is that I would need 2 hours to cover the basics in more detail to give those users more chance to understand the more advanced, whilst actually doing the more advanced.

IMO I would say that it would be worth offering 2 versions of that topic - one for the newbies/intermediates and one for the more advanced user who has used array's for a while ...

Unfortunately, that would mean twice the work, and quite honestly the time eaten up by these events is enormous.

The point/Q I raised at the conf. was that for me a CSE is useful really only when 1 Sumproduct can not achieve the same result, eg for a quick MIN(IF or MAX(IF or even (pre XL2007) AVERAGE(IF ... and these are easy to demo... for the more complex Sum & Count I think it's better to concentrate on Sumproduct given it's greater robustness.

So you were that b#*t'?d were you :-)? Again, that was on my agenda to cover as I wanted to migrate to SP having explained the mecahanics of aarray functions, because SP is just a peculiar/aprticular array formula, and its only over-arching benefit is no CSE. But as I said, I had already lost it by then so I didn't make that point well (at all?).

I guess for me the advanced stuff would constitute a general overview of how Arrays are processed etc - ie the general mechanics - to that end I know Colin and yourself have had a few discussions here on that topic and it was that type (level) of discussion that I was expecting last week.

This is probably the one thing that we differ on, I don't think this was the place for this topic. This is more suited for a master class session, less scripted, more free-form, but with everyone pitching in. The conference content was really for beginners to intermediate, beyond that it is more for the event, meeting, greeting and networking.

I think you were caught between a rock and a very hard place last Thursday :)

And didn't I feel it, but lots of masseage and they are almost working again :-)

At the end of the day (he says sounding like a footballer) the problem stems from the fact that most XL users believe themselves to be Advanced... the majority obviously are not but it's a subjective thing... I've known a few people in the FP&A field who regard themselves as experts based on the fact they know what a VLOOKUP is (but not a SUMIF!).

True, and we have to try and cater for alland not destroy their egos/confidence (too much). As I say, I anticipate October being easier as I expect a less sophisticated crowd, truly beginners and intermediates. Unfortunately, I am re-writing both of my function presentations for that, trying to ensure it is a bit more structured around realistic examples.

The visualisation presentation I am happy with in content, just need to cut out some of the slides (like half of them), and leave Andy to make the points about colour and data-ink in graphs, and ensure we get the timing right so that Andy has the requisite time ti build the dashboard.

I consider myself a very intermediate user, I am aware of stuff I don't know, and can aspire to it, rather than thinking I know all. However, the majority of the topics I understood, could get my head round etc. I did find the Array one went a long way over my head. But then that is something I can go and learn more about. (Once I have got VBA out of the way (haha))

From my position I didn't get an overwhelming feeling of th split in abilities (although I was very aware that a lot of people were waaaaay ahead of me), but I think that was partly down to my being at the lower end of the scale, and maybe I didn't speak to enough people in the breaks.

I did surprise myself somewhat by understanding the majority of the jokes. I was so pleased I was in a room where people didn't mind making these jokes, and more importantly no one called you a nerd for understanding and laughing. I found that comforting.

I think if anyone in that company called you a nerd, it would be a compliment! ;)

EDIT: I should probably qualify the above a little better....

When you consider who the speakers were ("count the MS MVPs") I think it's fair to say that the content of each session w(sh)ould err towards the advanced end of the scale ... There are a lot of trainers who can demonstrate the intermediate stuff with a multitude of examples, not so the advanced stuff ... there was a not inconsiderable amount of XL intellectual wealth present in the room on the Thursday and I wonder if the presenters would have preferred to focus entirely at the top end of their own knowledge base ?

I thoroughly enjoyed it by the way - it's not a criticism - just trying to give constructive feedback ...

My first reply was prior to this, so to add to that.

There is a logic in what you say, but our intent was a more basic conference. I think we would like to do more advanced, but if we did, it would probably be in the form of master classes for small groups, where we would not need so much preparation but to use our overall knowledge around a theme (I have mentioned Programming the VBE, I would also like to do one on Conditional Compilation, as well as Excel based such as CF and arrays). But here we would have to be very clear if we did take that approach. It would not be fair to get someone to commit 2 days and then for them to find that we start 3,000 ft above there capability.

And of course there is the dreaded word ... charging. It is my view, and this is just my view I haven't asked the other guys, that we should keep the basic form as a freebie, we are trying to spread the word here. But, again in my view, it seems reasonable to charge for a more advanced conference. But look what happened when we charged before, we lost money on the 2007 Cambridge conference, we didn't even cover our expenses.

It is a difficult balance, but hopefully everyone got something out of the attempt, even if it was only adding faces to names. I enjoyed the two days, I love talking Excel, I love drinking, and I love having a laugh. Sorted on all 3 fronts ;-).

I consider myself a very intermediate user, I am aware of stuff I don't know, and can aspire to it, rather than thinking I know all. However, the majority of the topics I understood, could get my head round etc. I did find the Array one went a long way over my head. But then that is something I can go and learn more about. (Once I have got VBA out of the way (haha))

From my position I didn't get an overwhelming feeling of th split in abilities (although I was very aware that a lot of people were waaaaay ahead of me), but I think that was partly down to my being at the lower end of the scale, and maybe I didn't speak to enough people in the breaks.

I think there were plenty there that would love to be at your ability with Excel.

I was absolutely knocked aback when, after Simon's first presentation, someone asked us to slow down as some people were very basic users (I thought Simon's was a great basic intro).

Couple that with some of the questions I got in my Intermediate Functions presentation, I soon realised that the capability split was going to be an issue we were never going to overcome to full satisfaction.

On my array presentation, I asked if anyone had never used array formulae would they now. The response was sheepish, so I could see that that objective had failed (one guy came up to me afterwards and said he was going to), but I could also see a lot of vacant stares ( I didn't notice you :-)).

But all in all, some good stuff for us to work on for October - as long as I start early enough.

Interesting discussion.

I definitely preferred the more relaxed, less "lecture-like" atmosphere where people were allowed to freely ask questions. The only thing was that I wish that the audience had been a little more patient before asking: very often, the subsequent material of the presentation amply addressed the question at hand, which meant that the 'interruption' served no purpose except that of putting the presenter off his stride and consuming time which would have been better spent covering all of the slides and 'truly' unanswered questions at the end.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some nuggets of information in the notes on Bob's array UDFs, which is a section that was completely skipped due to time issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back