UK Excel User Group Conference

I was absolutely knocked aback when, after Simon's first presentation, someone asked us to slow down as some people were very basic users (I thought Simon's was a great basic intro).

That was a bit of a surprise to me, they were sitting a couple of seats from me and spent most of the first day whimpering, not sure if they came back for the second.

I was more than happy that I was able to keep up with the array presentation and didn't make a complete tit of myself when I suggested using COUNT rather than {=SUM(--ISNUMBER.... so to for my mind it was pretty spot on.

I would love to push the envelope a bit but have not 'paid' to go on an Excel course since the 'intermediate' one my work sent me on a few years ago as a) it just wasn't and b) you just never know what to expect as far as the knowledge of the trainer etc

Depending on location, topics covered and price I would definitely consider going on a paid session if I had the confidence that I would gain enough from it. I can sympathise with your views on the problem of organising paid master class events as the content is so subjective. In my line of work it is often ideas that I pick up from people that are more useful to me than higher end knowledge of the real guru side of Excel and those ideas often use thechniques that I already understand but just haven't considered how to put into place ('ickle in cell charts for one).

There's no easy answer to the whole conundrum that I can think of really but best of luck and keep up the excellent work!!!!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Personally, I think for a masterclass kind of situation, you should make friends with an MVP and offer to buy their drinks all night if they bring a laptop and a copy of Excel along ;-)

That was a bit of a surprise to me, they were sitting a couple of seats from me and spent most of the first day whimpering, not sure if they came back for the second.

LOL! When I worked for a major corpoarate a few years back they had an in-house Univesrity scheme, a bit of a help yourself training, and I did some brown-bag lunch Excel sessions. The most popular was one on Excel and Beyond, which was just working Excel more than 90% of people do. Nothing you wouldn't do and use everyday, filtering, data validation, CF and so on. This was the most popular as I said, everyone used Excel so they presumably thought they could follow along, but the number of poor lost souls was a sight to behold. And that was besides those that had resorted to doing their nails.

In my line of work it is often ideas that I pick up from people that are more useful to me than higher end knowledge of the real guru side of Excel and those ...

I tend to find that I learn a technique very often before I need it, and then ... boing,serendipity strikes and I recall and I make progress.

... ideas often use thechniques that I already understand but just haven't considered how to put into place ('ickle in cell charts for one)

That is one I would love to do, but it would be fairly heavy, and the attendees would have to be very comfortable with VBA, it would need to be straight in, no time for the ebasics.

Personally, I think for a masterclass kind of situation, you should make friends with an MVP and offer to buy their drinks all night if they bring a laptop and a copy of Excel along ;-)

What, you mean like Bombay Sapphire?

I was absolutely knocked aback when, after Simon's first presentation, someone asked us to slow down as some people were very basic users (I thought Simon's was a great basic intro).

Ditto!

I'd consider myself an Intermediate user, but most of my comments on the feedback sheet were along the lines of "content too basic". Although I learnt a lot of stuff which I'll be able to put into practise (especially Andy's session of dashboards), I too was surprised by some of the more basic questions being asked.

I think Simon's presentation on VBA was a missed opportunity. If a delegate was able to understand Bob's formula for calculating the number of Xmas days that fell on a Sunday but they didn't know how to code a Message Box, it's unlikely they'll ever need to use VBA!

Just wanted to add my appreciation for the MVP's at the event, especially considering it was free.

Oh yeah, does anyone know when/how the files will be published?

I'd consider myself an Intermediate user, but most of my comments on the feedback sheet were along the lines of "content too basic". Although I learnt a lot of stuff which I'll be able to put into practise (especially Andy's session of dashboards), I too was surprised by some of the more basic questions being asked.

As I said earlier, this was not a conference aimed at you guys primarily, it was a 'spread the gospel' type event, but with a few more interesting tidbits (I hope not to be jumped on in saying that our Visuals presentation and my array were in the latter category, as was Charles' performance session. I would have liked Roger's to be a bit less basic (everyone uses pivots don't they?), but the tip on decomposing a cross-tab report to a flat file was good (even if I had intended doing that one too :-))). It just so happened that you guys just piled in and grabbed the first 20 or so slots (not a criticism, it was great to meet those of you who made yourself known, just that the agenda should have given you a clue).

I think Simon's presentation on VBA was a missed opportunity. If a delegate was able to understand Bob's formula for calculating the number of Xmas days that fell on a Sunday but they didn't know how to code a Message Box, it's unlikely they'll ever need to use VBA!

In Simon's defence, I think this is one of the hardest to get right. I did one a couple of years back, it was pitched higher than Simon's, but I got the same comments. And Simon has some great perspectives ... anyone use Classes? Why? LOL!

Oh yeah, does anyone know when/how the files will be published?

I thought Nick would have emailed you all by now. We don't want the links publicised, just for those who bothered to turn up. I will check where we are on that.

BTW it never occurred to me before that you moniker was your name, I thought it was some convoluted construction :-)

If anyone hears anything about that MS offer as well would appreciate letting me know as I just realised I put my personal e-mail on the form to sign up for it but I signed up to the conference through my work one which if means if they are checking off against a list I could get burned :-(

BTW it never occurred to me before that you moniker was your name, I thought it was some convoluted construction

I find that I'm less likely to forget a username that consists of my first initial and my surname!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back