UK Excel User Group Conference

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I appreciate that of all the subjects, VBA is the hardest to pitch at the right level. I just assumed that given the number of MVPs, the content would be quite advanced. Not a complaint, just an observation. I still managed to pick up a few tips (All these years I've been writing code and I didn't know about Ctrl+Space to display Intellisense!).

Ctrl-Space is not really display Intellisense, it is an auto-complete. So if you type in a unique string it will fully complete it. It will display a list of items if it is not (yet) unique aka Intellisense, but it is a little different.

I find especially useful with constants, as I always upper case my constants, but if you enter them in code and put one letter lower case, VBA will change them all, so your constant now has a lower-case letter in it. I just type the first part of my constant, any case, and then Ctrl-Space which completes it AND upper-cases it, hence not destroying my coding style.

I learnt some little tricks too but also learnt that I'm guilty of using things "as they come out of the box" and was ashamed to say that I was guilty of many of Simon's points about VBE don'ts... :oops:

Incidentally, congrats Emma...

Happy Good Friday Chaps & Chappess !!!

Sorry for not responding earlier , i have been out of action
with the dreaded lurgy , of which , I know Mr Schollar can relate to !!

(Hi Rich , Bryony , Dom , Luke & Colin you Guys Ok ??)

Anyone had there " Thank You " from Microsoft yet ??????

My inbox appears MT from MS !!!

Finally , to Nick & all the presentation team ,many thanks , thoroughly
enjoyed the event !!!

Reagrds

Russ

I find especially useful with constants, as I always upper case my constants, but if you enter them in code and put one letter lower case, VBA will change them all, so your constant now has a lower-case letter in it. I just type the first part of my constant, any case, and then Ctrl-Space which completes it AND upper-cases it, hence not destroying my coding style.
That does not happen to me on your garden variety constants. They retain whatever case characteristics they have in the CONST statement. That only happens to me with enumerated constants - and yes - pi**** me off every time; so I always use intellisense/autocomplete on those.

Also, not sure what you consider to be intellisense versus autocompletion; i.e. I had used the terms interchangeably as do others. If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could clarify?

That does not happen to me on your garden variety constants. They retain whatever case characteristics they have in the CONST statement. That only happens to me with enumerated constants - and yes - pi**** me off every time; so I always use intellisense/autocomplete on those.

That is what I meant also, I use enumerated constants so often and get that problem so often I failed to differentiate. Ctl-Space stops the problem though.

Also, not sure what you consider to be intellisense versus autocompletion; i.e. I had used the terms interchangeably as do others. If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could clarify?

If you believe everything/anything that you read in Wikipaedia ... :)

My understanding of intellisense is that it is an auto listing facility of library members, autocomplete is just that, completing a name from what is given so far, including providing a list if multiple matches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back