Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

Red Dwarf is and always will be one of my favourite shows. In retrospect some of the stuff they come out with is a bit odd but hilarious anyway.

In more recent years I'd suggest catching up with The Fast Show, The League of Gentlemen, and The Mighty Boosh if you want to see where British humour is heading. They all take a bit of getting used to but are fantastic all the same.

Don't get me started about reality TV though. The only good thing about it is that I watch less TV and get out and see my friends more.

Dom

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Red Dwarf is and always will be one of my favourite shows. In retrospect some of the stuff they come out with is a bit odd but hilarious anyway.

In more recent years I'd suggest catching up with The Fast Show, The League of Gentlemen, and The Mighty Boosh if you want to see where British humour is heading. They all take a bit of getting used to but are fantastic all the same.

Don't get me started about reality TV though. The only good thing about it is that I watch less TV and get out and see my friends more.

Dom

Oh man, I forgot about The Mighty Boosh. A perfect example of what I was saying. That show is hilarious.
"You ever drink Bailey's from a shoe?"

From my brief forays into British TV, here is what I've 'learned' about Great Britian:

- The comman man will go to great lengths to appear more well off and connected than he/she really is (Keeping Up Appearances)

- Chasing after scantily clad women on city streets and local parks is a national past time (The Benny Hill Show)

Are you local?

I watched The League of Gentlemen with, might I add, some degree of wonderment at the insanity / ridiculousness of it all. I love British humour but it took me a while to work out what was going on with that one......certain scenes/skits were side-splitting.

Is Ricky Gervais still popular (was he ever?) in the UK? His comedy shows have been very popular here. IMO that is comedy gold.....I love the non-verbal humour.

Insofar as steroetypical *things* from movies, I want some of those 'L' shaped sheets you see in movies, except my wife can have the short side of the L.....:)

Andrew

P.S. I'm also amazed at the random crowds of people who break into rapturous and spontaneous applause. I have never seen that happen before in real life. I'd like to see that one day.....

Last edited:
The League of Gentlemen took me ages to get into and I think it was only after watching the re-runs I finally got it and now love every minute. Ricky Gervais had success with The Office and Extras but never really did it for me I have to admit. Along with Peter Kay (Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy) I think he had his day and was successful for a fairly brief period but whether they'll be back is questionable.

Also worth a highly honourable mention would be The Young Ones and Bottom, both starring Rick Mayall and Adrian Edmonson. Sheer brialliance!!!

I've heard about cinema crowds in the states spontaneously bursting into applause and cheering (usually when the USA has saved the world again), which I have to admit to finding a bit odd.

Dom

I've heard about cinema crowds in the states spontaneously bursting into applause and cheering (usually when the USA has saved the world again), which I have to admit to finding a bit odd.
Have you "heard" where there is happening? I'd love to go there and check it out for myself, as I don't think I have ever witnessed that phenomenom!

A friend told me about it when he went to see Independence Day not long after it opened in New York. I was also reading a review not long ago, although I can't remember what film for, where the guy watched it in a US cinema and the same thing happened.

A friend told me about it when he went to see Independence Day not long after it opened in New York. I was also reading a review not long ago, although I can't remember what film for, where the guy watched it in a US cinema and the same thing happened.
Hmmm... Must be a big city thing...

Depsite the commonality of actors, The Young Ones is in a different league to Bottom. It was the other characters and the interplay that made The Young Ones what it was. IIRC that show launched the career of Alexi Sayle and his song "Hello John got a new motor?".

What is funny about the spontaneously clapping crowd is if you watch the extras before they break into rapturous applause. Many of them have this face that says "I'm serious and I'm getting through here" only to stop, turn, break into a grin, walk slowly towards the main actors while clapping and then stop a respectful 5-10 metres away. What was so important before that they could stop doing it now?

Last edited:
I like Rosemary & Thyme. The library had one season on DVD. I think it is with Felicity Kendall. Liked that, then the librarian said she used to watch her in Good Neighbours years ago. It was renamed to A Good Life when broadcast in the US. I am wathching it through Netflix now.

Love the humor. Gotta be paying attention to the show to catch everything with all British humor.

Watched Dr. Who years and years ago. Loved it. Getting the kids hooked on it now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back