Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
There is one exception, Gregory House the show "House". Ironically, I believe he is an English actor (Hugh Laurie, I believe).

Actually, my biggest beef with American TV is all the "reality" shows. They certainly don't represent any "reality" I have ever known...

Basically, it seems like with have three different kind of shows on Network TV now:

1. Reality shows
2. Hospital shows
3. Crime shows (mostly made up by about 100 different versions "Law And Order" and "CSI" -- I can hardly wait for "CSI: Anchorage")

He is indeed English. (Born in Oxford but saw sense and got educated in Cambridge)

Re the TV, it's much the same over here - they basically just combine those 3 types in various orders, occasionally adding the word "Celebrity" in front of the title (all evidence to the contrary) :biggrin:

I understand that most people not from the UK believe that Christmas in England is some sort of chocolate-box lid style winter wonderland, when in reality it's a puke lined, drizzle soaked, shopping nightmare where you have to spend hours in traffic jams 'visiting' your relatives.

I was lucky enough to spend Christmas in Las Vegas a few years ago, second best Christmas this side of puberty (after Christmas on honeymoon in Mexico).

Something I learned when I lived in London:

- Actual english natives do not exist within the M25, If they are white, they are polish, Lithuanian, Irish, Kiwis, Aussies, Germans, French or Yanks.
- The average London girl prefers to wear sandals and a mini skirt, especially if it is 5 degrees below freezing with a nice drift of sleet.
- no matter how you make your way to work, you will always be late, because either your tubeline is broken down, the tube is on strike or you are trapped in a traffic jam.

'Allo 'Allo? Really? Not exactly a classic of the genre (although I liked it when I was a kid).

Just trying to think what I'd send you if I ruled the world...

Send them QI. That has to be the pinnacle of current UK humour?

Anything with Stephen Fry. A national treasure.

Edit - I see you want to send them more of him too!

"A cookie is not a biscuit. It is a cookie. It should be soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. If it is crunchy on the inside it is not a cookie..."

Look, we get a lot of non-native English speakers comin' through here and you folks are gonna confuse 'em 'bout the whole cookie 'n' biscuits business. So let me set the record straight:
  • If'n ya pour gravy on it and eat if fer breakfast, along with some bacon (none of this "rashers" business) and perhaps a bowl o' grits then it's a biscuit.
  • If'n ya dip it in milk and ya hafta hide the package from yer young'uns lest they leave ya with naught but crumbs, then it's a cookie.
Don't let them folks over yonder confuddle ya. I mean who ya gonna believe, them or this guy? Biscuits.
Dang, now I'm :hungry:

Man, half the reason I posted that list was I knew the thread would blow up in a "no we don't nuh-uh that's not true" way. :laugh:

I could've equally taken apart the list about the U.S., but, then again, it was a joke based on TV shows. I was more making fun of people that believe the stereotypes, not the country itself.

And as to the non-sequitur humor, I remember that mostly from Red Dwarf and Dr. Who (yeah, I know, really old shows, but so were most of xlHammer's references).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back