Thank you! Thank who? Thank when?

Round here... well, not round where I work, but round where I live, there is a whole town where all of th einhabitants share one undeniably obnoxious driving habit. They approach one of the many stop signs that face onto Main Street, and wait while you approach at 25-30 miles per hour. They wait... and they wait. There's nobody in front of you, nobody behind you... no reason they couldn't have pulled out 15 or 20 seconds before you get to the intersection. Then, they pull out right in front of you, so have no choice but to slam on the brakes and screech the stires (in he days before ABS). These idjits then drive at 10 miles per hour to th enext side street, and pull off the road with a directional. Some days I just wish I had a BAR as a hood ornament.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Yeah, I love bikes. I used to ride and both of my brothers still do, but as my wife, my mom (and everyone else I know in the medical profession) calls them 'donercycles' I'll stick with my truck.
Oddly enough, with the price of fuel (over 4 bones a gallon here) and the fact that my beast of a truck gets about 90 feet to the gallon I've got my eye peeled on a VW bug so it looks as if I may need to watch out for the tailgaters after all. (And then I'll only be one step above the donercycles on the ol' asphalt food chain.) :-?

Hey Paul, want to borrow my truck? :lol:
I don't think I've ever squeeled my tires trying to stop for some mope that pulled out in front of me. I actually have people waiting for over a hundred yards just to let me go by so they don't risk pulling out in front of me.
As my license plates indicate; 'Let fear & better judgement be your guide'.:twisted:

[EDIT:]
Oh, and in a lame attempt to keep/get this thread back on track, when they wait like that I usually say "Thank you

:lol:

As for the tailgating, I don't suffer from that too much.
I suppose it happens, I just don't pay attention to it when it does.
That's the real beauty of driving an old heavy duty 6,000 lb. 4 wheel drive truck
Consider yourself lucky to be in that situation! You would probably feel different if you were driving a Dodge Interpid and there was an 18 wheeler tailigating you at 65 MPH. You know his stopping distance is a lot longer than yours.

To tie this back to the original spirit of this thread, as I have gotten older I have come to realize one important truth:

Common courtesy and common sense aren't all that common!

Consider yourself lucky

Oh, I do. Even I have to watch out & give way to the big boys.
We just don't have too many of 'em around these parts.

But you gotta admit, there's a lot to be said for being quick and nimble too, which I certainly am not.

Dan, I think you and my Pa would get along just fine. :laugh: My father lives in a small town (pop. about 2,300) and sells trailers (livestock, flatbed) in his "retirement". So he's got a rather large Dodge RAM diesel with a "cow catcher" on the front that he uses to go pick them up from the manufacturers (most are in Texas) and deliver them to customers in KS, OK, CO, NE & MO. With the exception of big rigs & wheat-filled grain trucks, not too many folks pull out in front of him either.

Just saw the latest editions and yeah, that "small and nimble" thing saved my bacon more than once on my motorcycle. The best accidents are the ones you avoid altogether (whether through manueverability or intimidation :lol:).

Well, we don't have many cows around here (read that no cows), so the cow catcher would just be wondered about but the old timers in our town (also a population of right around 2,300) refer to the hydraulic ram for lifting my plow as a 'moose gooser'. :-D

You don't have cows in Alaska? That takes away cow tipping as a extracuricular activity? What do the drunk teenagers do instead? Other then avoiding getting in front of your truck:-)

Well, we don't have many cows around here (read that no cows), so the cow catcher would just be wondered about but the old timers in our town (also a population of right around 2,300) refer to the hydraulic ram for lifting my plow as a 'moose gooser'. :-D

You mean that burger I had wasn't beef!

The only place I've been to where you carry a firearm to ward off the bears when you take a stroll.

I may have a picture of AA with that shotgun somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back