Thank you! Thank who? Thank when?

Deez skillz dont need enhansing Toddy, deez skillz need thanks! (with my best Arnold impersonation) :twisted:

It's all just PC crap to me. Sometimes ppl are in a hurry and don't have time to post a thank you....the board does run slow during the work day...

And don't tell me that we're all in a hurry and/or busy. If we were all so busy we wouldn't be sitting around helping others with there Excel issues.

And I've seen some of the "solutions" lately...I think most of us need to enhance our skills.

Anyway, this topic is lame...

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Todd,
Sounds like you are having a bad day.....Hope it gets better:-). 'Course I'm with you on this issue. I help to see if I can do it. Help someone out and learn something new as well.

Cal

You think my head is big? I think it's a nice comfortable size myself...unless of course you're talking about "down there" then you'd be absolutely correct.

I knew you were joking...I'm just crabby today.

But I still think it's crap. :x

Thanks per se are not necessary IMHO, but feedback would be nice, either to say it worked (with or without the thanks doesn't matter), or to say it didn't. I spent some time yesterday trying to find a solution (hey, I'm on vacation, I have nothing else to do), and the feedback I got helped me to work out where my solution was lacking, and we kept at it until it got done.

I'm a relative newcomer to this board (and compared to most of the people here also relatively new to Excel), and I know my limitations, so I only step in to assist when the answers are in my province. However, I am not always sure that my way is the best way, so feedback that it worked is appreciated. Even if there are four solutions offered and only one is "correct" because that is the one the OP picked to use, the "thanks M1" in Erik's example is useful because one starts to analyse why that solution was better than one's own.

Deviating from the thread slightly, what does the panel think about putting a [solved] or [resolved] before the thread once it is solved/resolved. Sometimes I see a thread with one reply and that has solved the problem. Other times, there are threads with myriads of responses, yet the solution is being developed. I wonder how many would-be responders ignore that particular thread because "its probably been answered by now".

Another slight deviation : In my comparatively short life on the board, I have seen practically the same names crop up time and again on most occasions responding to the problems. What would the panel/moderators/Board think of acknowledging their time and trouble and expertise with another hall of fame, this time giving kudos for the number of solutions, mostly all elegant, that each has given.

Which brings me back to the thread. Thank you all, you know who you are, for the time and trouble you take to assist on the most humble to the extremely mind boggling questions that it has been my fortune to see in any forum. I attend this forum mainly to feed off the crumbs from your tables. If, in passing, I too can feed someone off the crumbs I have collected, I am indeed twice blessed.

Deviating from the thread slightly, what does the panel think about putting a [solved] or [resolved] before the thread once it is solved/resolved. Sometimes I see a thread with one reply and that has solved the problem. Other times, there are threads with myriads of responses, yet the solution is being developed. I wonder how many would-be responders ignore that particular thread because "its probably been answered by now".

This has been discussed and there are pros and cons to it. I think more cons because:
Sometimes a solution that may work, may NOT be the best soultion. I feel that it is best to give th OP as many options as possible. Something that works for this OP may not be exactly right for another with a similar problem. The more choices, the better. In fact, some of the best discussions on the board have been "after" the problem was solved.
Another slight deviation : In my comparatively short life on the board, I have seen practically the same names crop up time and again on most occasions responding to the problems. What would the panel/moderators/Board think of acknowledging their time and trouble and expertise with another hall of fame, this time giving kudos for the number of solutions, mostly all elegant, that each has given.

Have you noticed the stars under some people's avatars? This is an indication of the number of post to the board, without regard to quality. (Tracy, correct me if I'm wrong). And of course, there are the MrExcel MVP's, which is an indication of Quality and Service.

lenze

riaz,

Just to comment on a few of your suggestions.

what does the panel think about putting a [solved] or [resolved] before the thread once it is solved/resolved.
Great idea, but the only person who can tell you if it has been resolved is the original poster. And if most don't take the time to acknowledge thanks, or that the question is resolved, there is little chance that we are going to get them to change the status of threads to "resolved"

What would the panel/moderators/Board think of acknowledging their time and trouble and expertise with another hall of fame, this time giving kudos for the number of solutions, mostly all elegant, that each has given
There already kind of is something like this in place, the designation of "MVP" status. And there is also a "Hall of Fame" forum for the most elegant & useful solutions. Anything beyond that would take quite a bit of time and effort and would require a lot of monitoring and analyzing of responses. As this is a volunteer board, that probably isn't feasible.

I mentioned the [resolved] because I had seen it on one or two threads, and so I did the same for one of my own. I agree that it is the original poster that should do it, but if they are coming back to look at the answer, perhaps they could tick a box a la MS "Yes this solved my problem". How long does a tick take? But this is a question for the Board to decide if they want to take the time and trouble to put a tick box up if they consider it might do some good.

I always thought the MVP was something you got off MS for passing an example much like their MOUS, and didn't realise this was for services to the Board. The stars do denote quantity and as a corollary the amount of time volunteered to this Board. I was just thinking a Roll of Honour with all the gurus listed in one place would be a nice gesture. Again, like you say, it probably isn't feasible, but maybe one day....

Riaz:
What an eloquent post.
I believe the Solved/Resolved question has been adequately addressed along with the acknowledgment of the responders’ time & efforts so no need to comment further there, but I definitely agree on the issue of some sort of response from the OP as to ‘yes, that worked’ or why it didn’t (preferably with as much detail as possible). That not only helps the responder but any future users with similar needs running across the thread in a search.
I also agree with lenze that the more choices of solutions the better.

As for the ‘thank you’, well that’s just indicative of the OP’s level of common courtesy, which - in my experience with most people (although apparently not on this board) - if you expect the worst you’re rarely disappointed and are occasionally pleasantly surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back