Thank you! Thank who? Thank when?

Poke the grizzly with a stick?
I know a guy who's actually done that!
He was bow hunting brown bear (griz live more inland. Here on the coast they're brown bear. Same species but the coastal critters are better fed & a bit bigger because of it.) anyway, he ran across a sow and her cubs in their den. Actually got down on his hands & knees and crawled part way in there! Had to poke 'mama' with a stick to get himself back outa there.

And yeah, Brian's right. When you go for a stroll in the woods you better be packin' some fairly serious heat. Haven't ever had to plug one yet but I have needed to put one across their bow a time or two. (You don't normally need to kill them, you just gotta change their mind.)

There are cows in the state but they're mostly found in and around the Anchorage area, down in Palmer and the 'Mat-Su' valley where they do a lot of farming & stuff. I have personally seen heads of cabbage that are literally 3' by 3' in size.
As for the cow tipping, I think a few of 'em have tried that but in our area they're limited to tipping cow moose. :lol:

Matter of fact, I'll be tipping one myself here in about 3 more weeks.
('Course I'll have the help of a Winchester modle 70 in 30.06) Then we'll have another years worth of meat (and the burger Brian mentioned) that's soooo much better than beef. :wink:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If you've ever poked a bear with a stick......you might be a redneck.

:twisted: :o

Here in Montana, we just take a small dog along to use as a decoy. Just pick one that's a yapper. Really distracts the bear.

lenze

Bein' serious I 'spect. Bears really don't like dogs. They're quite annoying and too quick for them.

There's a story of two hikers running across a bear.
One hiker sits down, takes off his boots and puts on his tennis shoes.
The second guy says "What are you doing, you can't out run that bear."
The first guys says "Yeah, but all I gotta do is out run you!

With that in mind you can also go hiking with no more than a .22 pistol and someone you don't care much for.
(Shoot him in the leg & run like hell.) :lol:

Yeah, I think mountain lions would scare me more than bears do. :o

They can be intimidating, but we really don't have enough around here anymore. We are literally being overrun by the deer population coming out of the hills. They estimate there are over 500 resident deer in Helena proper, ones that have never been outside the city limits.

lenze

Do they open up a hunting season on all those deer?
Not the ones in city limits, I'm sure, but the ones outside?

Funny you should mention taking the dog as a decoy too.
In my 30 years in Alaska I've known of 3 dogs actually named 'Bait' :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back