How not to eat with your hands

Amazing how you pull off a speech for us :) but I am just referring to as like as he said, there's a lot of ways to say silverware in different parts of a country. As in Canada we say "washroom" but in the states they say "restroom".

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
As in Canada we say "washroom" but in the states they say "restroom".

EPURON,

Despite you having, single-handedly, swerved the focus of this thread from knives, forks, spoons and bread to toilets, yes…. TOILETS!!!, I bare you no ill.

In fact I'm even prepared to do you a big favour and offer some friendly advice……..

If ever you should visit the UK and find yourself caught short, as in needing the toilet, don't go asking the whereabouts of the Washroom or the Restroom!!!

If you ask for the Washroom it will be assumed that you have soiled clothing to process and are actually looking for the Laundry Room.

If you ask for the Restroom it will be assumed that you are tired and in need of a lie down. Hence you will be directed to the Bedroom.

As neither of these will result in you reaching the toilet, it is likely that embarrassing disaster will ensue. In which case, you will need to ask for the Washroom!!!

I do hope that is helpful information.

Once again, I urge the Moderators to keep a close watch on this thread in case we get any Aussies join in!! :)

Tony, I can think of plenty of words we use in the UK that match the Aussies sayings but I'll leave those to your imagination :)

Mark, no offence but that pugilistic cat of yours is starting to annoy me!!!!:)

Born in South Dakota and lived there until I was 10 then moved around a bit. SD>HI>NY>SC>KY>SD> United Kingdom.

Growing up I said Silverware/Restroom
Now I say Cutlery/Loo or Toilet being in the UK means I have had to change quite a few words I used in order to be understood.

How do you say washroom in the UK? The LOOOO? The LAVVVVY?

I can't believe that I've been sucked into this potentially unsavoury topic!!!

Yes, give or take the the odd excess O and V.

I would say that the most common of polite references to 'the facilities' would be The Loo.
The Gents or The ladies are also universally understood and perfectly acceptable

The Lav or Lavvy less common but is used.

I flatly refuse to quote any further examples in case the Moderators mistake me for an Aussie! ;)

BTW EPURON, I much prefer your new hat and it's good to see that you have had a decent haircut.

When I go to the states people say I've picked up some accent. I think it is more that my Midwest American accent has softened and people of course notice me using different words (like bin instead of garbage). When I meet people here for the first time they ask me how long I've been here (10 years) and then say how strong of an American accent I still have.

The accent is in the ear of the listener.

I do say one thing in a proper British accent, bloody (h)ell. I suppose it is because I learned it over here so never said it with any other accent. People always laugh when they hear it for the first time because it sounds so English it surprises them.

Mark, no offence but that pugilistic cat of yours is starting to annoy me!!!!:)
That's ok, it's overdue for a change...
I'll have a look at it at the weekend or before if I get bored Xmas card signing tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back