WHY!

Bianca,

To paraphrase an article I read recently: "There are as many styles of lifting as there are styles of cooking chicken." Just like both relationships and Excel, there are entire books devoted to the subject. I don't know how many of my brethren here are also gym rats and can answer, so I'll go ahead and offer a quick primer.
  • Generally speaking, you pick between going for building mass & strength; or going for building endurance & tone. Most women are going to opt for the latter. Most men, the former or a mix of the two. I'll assume you're in the latter camp. So you want to select weights where you can complete 10, 12 or 15 reps per set. 18- or 20-rep sets are really about the upper end of the scale (with the exception of abs) for working sets on any given muscle group. If you can easily do 20 reps it's time to increase the weight. If you can barely eek out 8 or 10 reps, drop down a couple of pounds.
  • Work different body parts on different days if your schedule allows. This is called your "training split". You might do Chest & Biceps on Mondays, Back & Triceps on Tuesdays, Legs & Abs on Fridays, Shoulders & Calves on Saturdays. Try to pick three to five different exercises for each body part. And do three, maybe four sets of each exercise.
  • Do ask an experienced lifter (s/he may be young or old) about proper form if you're unsure. There are lots of little tips and tricks you pick up over the years. Generally speaking there are only a handful of exercises that should be done as "compound movements"; meaning that you are deliberately trying to work many muscle groups. The main compound lifts are squats, deadlifts, bench press and the "olympic lifts" like clean and jerk and the snatch. Otherwise, "proper form" probably means that you are isolating the muscle group you are focusing on. For example, if you are doing bicep curls with an "ez-curl" bar (the cambered bar designed for curling) then you should not find yourself rocking your shoulders to "cheat". [Cheating can be an effective training strategy - if you're doing it on purpose as a part of a "going heavy" rotation to build strength - but again, that's outside the domain of where your objectives would take you.] Likewise if you are doing dumbbell rows to build your lats, your shoulder should remain more or less in place. You shouldn't look like you're "starting a lawn mower". So, you can probably figure out proper form on your own for a lot of the isolation movements.
  • Proper form on compound movements is a lot trickier. I would strongly recommend that you work with an experienced lifter and have him or her observe you the first few times you try them. But I would recommend using them. You say you "hate squats". Why? I'll take a guess... because they're hard. **** right. That's what makes 'em great. In addition to building your quadriceps, they work your hamstrings, your glutes, your lower back and your abs. They give you a strong back and a strong core - in addition to strong legs. Get a pad for the bar if it hurts your neck. But squat if you can (some people have knee or disk problems that preclude it).
  • Read up on working out. Nowadays there are magazines like Oxygen et al, and websites galore that cater to women's fitness. This is one of those things where I could go on even longer that I have and still only scratch the surface. The good news is you can learn as you go. Some people enjoy weightlifting in and of itself - I am among that group. But I have a lot of friends at the gym for whom weightlifting is only an adjunct to their true passion. One gal just got back from a two-week bike ride through Oregon. Another gal just completed in her first triathalon. I introduced her to a guy I met in the weight room that had been doing triathalons for years and he gave her some good pointers. There's one old Korean guy that is an avid tennis player. If you find that you like working out for its own sake, wonderful. But if it's not your cup of tea, that's okay too. The only thing that's not okay is sitting on yer keester munching on junk food and feeling sorry for yourself.
My fellow MrExcel-lers continue to do a great job of keeping balls in play on other aspects of this conversation, so I'll sit down and shut up now...but there's at least a response on your question about working out...

<sup>edit</sup> Oh, I forgot one other point I was going to make...

That bit about "I usually have a half of a candy bar every day. Someone told me you need fat calories- so that is where I get that from." That's just wishful thinking. Don't kid yourself. Most recommendations are to set your diet's fat content at somewhere between 20% to 35% of the calories coming from fat. It is really hard not to get at least 20% of your calories from fat. Indeed, it's quite easy to get more then 35 or 40% of your calories from fat. And - not all fats are created equal. Some fats are actually good for you, Omega-3 (fish oil) for example. Also Primrose Oil & CLA are good fats (CLA occurs in grass-fed beef. But since most US beef is grain-fed CLA levels in US beef are a fraction of what they were back in the sixties and seventies). But the kinds of fats that are in the average candy bar are unlikely to be healthy fats. If your metabolism is fast enough to allow you to enjoy half a candy bar every now and then, knock yerself out. But don't pretend that it's in any way "healthy". <sub>/edit</sub>

Regards,

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Todd:
I know. People have told me that before, I talk negative. I am trying to change my ways though. I always have had low self-esteem since elementary school. I was never the popular girl, I was the 'freak' or whatever falls in that category all through high school. Do I really scare people off, is it that bad?

Greg:
I am going to start working with different parts of the body each day. Thanks! I was only doing three exercises for each body part. But since three is the min, I want to work up trying to do five. I want the max of what I can do. Thanks for clearing up the proper form! I understand it now. :) I hate squats because you should have a spotter. I don't have a spotter. I don't know anyone at the gym and I would feel embarass to ask someone. I probably would only be able to use the bar, because they weight about 30 pounds. I did this before, like 2 years ago, and I felt like the bar was going to kill me. Not really kill me, but I was afraid I would get hurt. So I guess its fear that I don't do squats. I love working out. Its the the thing I look forward to each day. Well not on Sunday, because everyone needs to have a day off. Right? Should I exercise on Sunday?

I really should stop eating candy. I agree it is unhealthy in so many ways. All in high school I would eat junk foods and that is what gave me the fat I have on today. But, here I still eat some candy each day.

Have you ever thought of taking up boxing?

I've done it for years & it's one of the best cardio workouts going!

That bit about "I usually have a half of a candy bar every day. Someone told me you need fat calories- so that is where I get that from." That's just wishful thinking. Don't kid yourself. Most recommendations are to set your diet's fat content at somewhere between 20% to 35% of the calories coming from fat. It is really hard not to get at least 20% of your calories from fat. Indeed, it's quite easy to get more then 35 or 40% of your calories from fat. And - not all fats are created equal. Some fats are actually good for you, Omega-3 (fish oil) for example. Also Primrose Oil & CLA are good fats (CLA occurs in grass-fed beef. But since most US beef is grain-fed CLA levels in US beef are a fraction of what they were back in the sixties and seventies). But the kinds of fats that are in the average candy bar are unlikely to be healthy fats. If your metabolism is fast enough to allow you to enjoy half a candy bar every now and then, knock yerself out. But don't pretend that it's in any way "healthy".

A tidbit my wife picked up (and added as her Sig Line in E-Mail:

'Low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets [15% protein, 60% carbohydrate, 25% fat] increase the risk of heart disease in post-menopausal women.' J Jeppeson, et al. Am J Clin Nutr 1997; 65: 1027-33.

Also interesting that you should mention Primrose oil... just added that to the Cod Liver oil recently, and we just got our second 1/4 cow (grass fed) last month... healthy fats are not easy to find in this country... whole raw unpasterurized milk is practically illegal in our town, and surrounding towns, so I pick it up in Connecticut (where I work)...

Check out this article about FAT consumption, written by a Registered Dietician with a background in MicroBiology and BioChemistry: http://www.apple-nutrition.com/20060729MCTandRQ.html

The rest of her blog articles are also EXCELLENT.

I REALLY want to try kick boxing out. But, I don't know where to look for classes. They don't offer them at my college. I did take an aerobic class last year, and that was fun. But, it was only a less than hour class two times a week. I didn't really like that fact.

'Low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets [15% protein, 60% carbohydrate, 25% fat] increase the risk of heart disease in post-menopausal women.

That is a SCARY thought...... thanks for mentioning it! Now I will think TWICE about how much carbos I take in. I hope its not too late for me to change my ways. i have been eating carbos since forever! its easy access to when you are hungry. nobody ever feels like making a meal-- because it time consuming.

Thanks for the article :)

Kick boxing is good, but i prefer just boxing for upper body tone

Rugby has it all...! Kicking! Boxing! Wrestling! Upper body tone, lower body...!!! It has it al! :-D

Bianca,
  1. ...I was only doing three exercises for each body part. But since three is the min, I want to work up trying to do five. I want the max of what I can do...
    Three to five is a general rule-of-thumb. It's not engraved in stone. Here's what is engraved in stone: listen to your own body! Take the 3-5 exercises per body part/muscle group as a starting point and tailor it to your own body. Every person's genetics are different. For example, myself: I am blessed on hamstrings, calves, traps and triceps. For me, each of these muscle groups responds very quickly to training. Therefore I only do two exercises for hamstrings, two exercises for calves and two for trapezius. I am not so blessed on deltoids and latissimus dorsi. For me these particular muscle groups don't respond worth a lick. So I do four or five excercises for lats and five or six for delts. So start w/ three exercises per muscle group (and change them up after six to ten weeks otherwise your body adapts and you stagnate). Then after a few months take a look in the mirror and see what's responding well and what's not responding well and make the appropriate adjustments.
  2. I hate squats because you should have a spotter. I don't have a spotter.
    You don't need a spotter. A good experienced lifter can help you on your form. But you should not need a spotter if you are squatting in a "power cage" or "squat cage". Simply set the safety rods at an appropriate height. Here are some basic tips. <ul>
  3. Keep your head up; eyes looking straight ahead or slightly above level.
  4. Keep your back arched/straight. Do not let it bend.
  5. Mind your knees and where they "track". They should not be "bowing in" as you go down.
[*]
...I probably would only be able to use the bar, because they weight about 30 pounds. I did this before, like 2 years ago, and I felt like the bar was going to kill me...
A standard 7' olympic bar usually weighs 45 pounds. And if that's all you can do, that perfectly fine. If you try that and find that you are having a great deal of difficulty, then you might start squatting using the Smith Machine. (Use google to learn more about this apparatus if you are not familiar with it.) The bar on a Smith Machine is counterweighted; so it's a very good way to start. You don't want to stick with the Smith Machine forever because you don't get any of the core workout due to its keeping the bar on a strict track. I still use the Smith Machine for squatting from time to time because you can move your feet farther back or farther forward to hit different mixes of quad/hamstring.[*]
...I love working out. Its the the thing I look forward to each day. Well not on Sunday, because everyone needs to have a day off. Right? Should I exercise on Sunday?...
Most folks need at least two days off per week to recover. Whether that's two consecutive days or split up like taking Thursdays & Sundays off or whatever will all depend on your schedule. Even the most hard core seldom go seven days a week. Remember you do not build muscle in the gym! You actually damage muscle in the gym. You build muscle during the recovery process after the workout when your body compensates for what you just did to it by making more muscle. Proper rest and nutrition are crucial. Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.[*]
I really should stop eating candy. I agree it is unhealthy in so many ways. All in high school I would eat junk foods and that is what gave me the fat I have on today. But, here I still eat some candy each day.
All things in moderation. For me candy is almost worse than cigarettes were. If I just stay away, I'm good. But if I have a little, next thing ya know, I'm halfway through a 1-lb bag of peanut M&M's. So, I just have to stay away. If you have more self-control than I and can have "just a bit" then by all means, don't make yourself crazy. If you're like me, try to keep the binges relatively infrequent and know that every handful of goodies means just that much more cardio to pay for it...[/list]Again, I'll leave Todd and others to carry on the other aspects of conversations going on in this thread. I agree with Todd in that I find your language quite emotional. But I simply attributed it to the passions that run rampant with youth. Which of us is making the wiser interpretation of your vocabulary I am unable to discern.<hr />
@ hatman: interesting. I'm still studying nutrition as I am able. The article you cite is a wonderful example of what I'm finding quite frustrating, which is that there seems to be all sorts of footnotes and caveats and conflicting findings around. OK - overall a low-fat diet is good; but maybe make some adjustments if you're a post-menopausal woman? Or is a low-fat diet bad for all of us? (Which swings counter to what most nutritionists/dieticians say.) I have a really long way to go before I'm up to "moderately ignorant", but I'm a-trying...

Yeah, I'm taking a "fat stack" of Fish Oil, CLA & Primrose Oil (for the GLA). I'm still looking for a good MCT supplement.

@ hatman: interesting. I'm still studying nutrition as I am able. The article you cite is a wonderful example of what I'm finding quite frustrating, which is that there seems to be all sorts of footnotes and caveats and conflicting findings around. OK - overall a low-fat diet is good; but maybe make some adjustments if you're a post-menopausal woman? Or is a low-fat diet bad for all of us? (Which swings counter to what most nutritionists/dieticians say.) I have a really long way to go before I'm up to "moderately ignorant", but I'm a-trying...

Yeah, I'm taking a "fat stack" of Fish Oil, CLA & Primrose Oil (for the GLA). I'm still looking for a good MCT supplement.
Greg:
My wife is the more knowledgeable of the two of us about this stuff... though I am slowly picking it up a bit at a time. You see, Carolyn is a friend of MINE from college, and she and my wife hijacked each other (as they describe it)... added to the fact that my wife is a PA, she is more inclined toward this stuff than yours truly, the dumb Engineer with only one degree.

But I'll try, since you asked so nicely...

The Short Version.

The medical community, for a variety of reasons that I won't get into here, labelled all fats as bad in the early 1970s. In reality, they were painting with a very broad brush, as you so aptly pointed out with your observation that not all fats are created equal. The simple truth is that there isn;t a single hydrogenated fat in existance that is good for human consumption, though some are worse than others. In every arterial blockage that has ever been biopsied, there has been no saturated fat found, only various unsaturated fats. Read as artificial, or heavily processed fats. That's right, most of the health risks that the medical community claims are a result of a high fat diet, are truly a result of man-made fats.

Did you happen to notice over the last 20 years the back-pedalling that the medical community has done regarding fats? At first, we were told to eliminate fats from the diet. No eggs, no dairy, no this, no that. Then they said that eggs might not be so bad. Oh, and nuts are okay. Oh, and poly versus mono unsaturated fats versus saturated fats... some are better than others. Well, they are still trying to figure out the best way to find a compromise between good sceince, big agribusiness lobbies, their own ethics, and how they can change their mind without looking like morons.

The worst part about it is that there were studies done in the 1940's through the 1960's that clearly showed the relationship between artificial fats and declining health. And many of those studies were held up as examples to show exactly the opposite of what the data actually proved. That's not a typo: the abstracts of several major studies that are the basis of the current philosophy regarding a low-fat diet are actually based on data that shows the opposite. I wish I could remember the particular study. It's discussed in detail in Dr. Uffe Ravnskov's book called The Cholesterol Myths. I highly recommend it. Also an excellent read is Dr. Mary Enig's Know Your Fats, which my wife is reading right now.

There are partial synopsized excerpts of both of these books, plus a whole host of other good fat info here at the Weston A Price Foundation. I would start with The Oiling of America, and work your way through from there. Actually, the WAPF is chock full of excellent dietary information is general... so have fun.

The last thing I am going to say about fats, almost a direct quote from Dr. Enig's book, is that it is as important to mainatin a proper balance of Omega-3 to Omega-6 Fatty Acids as it is to eat good fats... a bad ratio of fatty acids can be almost as bad as eating the wrong fats in the first place.

they don't have rugby here. i don't think i would like it, since it would involve wrestling. i am afraid when it comes to that. afaird that i will break a bone or something. i have always been like that. sadly, i am one of those girls who dont have thick bones.. so i probably wouldnt do that good in it!

thanks for the advice. :) i should just start with 3 and build up on that. i just always try to do the extreme when i am first starting out with things. oh gosh! it weights 45 pounds! yeah, that is kinda heavy for me.. i should wait until i can be able to lift that. i think the gym has a smith machine, so i should try and use that tomorrow.

wait, i could damage muscle in the gym? that is a scary thought... maybe i should take saturday off too. i didnt think that you build muscle during the recovery process after the workout. i dont even know any of this stuff.... thanks for giving me the facts. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolonG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back