What do you use your Scotch Tape for?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I found these fairly interesting.

12. Mends the ends of frayed shoelaces so they can be laced through the shoelace holes.

52. Secures documents from slipping on the copy machine when making multiple copies.

57. Repairs broken pens or other small pieces of desk equipment.

61. Prevents snags on office furniture. Place transparent tape across rough spots on a desktop or side of file cabinet.

65. Saves important papers in notebooks. If the hole tears, simply tape over the hole and repunch a new one and place back into the binder.

An interesting use I read is that it is supposed to work well to remove small, superficial splinters or slivers in your skin.
I actually used scotch tape today, at work, to remove fiberglass fibers from my hand. My real life adventures involve hardware as well as Excel :)...and I didn't pay enough attention to the material used for some access panels I was removing from a system.
We also go through cases of scotch tape at work for more normal endeavors...we collect huge amounts of receipt-like printouts from the systems that we develop as part of running test protocols, and have to tape them meticulously into laboratory notebooks, all 4 edges, signed across the edge of the tape onto the lab notebook page.

its handy for removal of cactus spines (especially those nasty little ones you get when handling opuntias)

but, my favourite use: for collecting up mercury spills (assuming that you didn't mean for it to escape and want it back)

A little late to add, and linking back to pranks but:

a) Taping over the ball on the old school ball mice and watching the resulting confusion

b) Securing cheap cling film (which is suprisingly un-clingy) to the loo seat for a good bathroom prank (very nearly got me thrown out the house a couple of times)

Used to work in the photonics industry once upon a time, and one time against my better judgement but under the boss's direct orders, I used the double sided version to secure 3" square quartz plates to a steel fixture for cutting with a .010" diamond wheel. After the first few disasters involving shattered quartz and destroyed diamond cutoff wheels, my boss agreed that bees wax had a superior adhesion quality and decided to wait for the order to arrive from the source. On-time production was important, but doing it right was more so and a lot less expensive.

Mercury spills? Hmmm... Never thought of using tape for mercury spills.

At the same job we also used a lot of mercury to charge the lamps we produced. Usually, when we spilled mercury (we tried not to) we would get as much of it as we could with broom and dustpan, then freeze the tiniest bits with liquid nitrogen to make them like sand grains and then sweep them up with a hand brush.

I guess I should point out that I often handled kilos of the stuff at a time and on several occasions swallowed some of it--which could explain the logic behind some of my posts. (Really it was triple distilled mercury and you could theoretically swallow up to a kilo of the stuff without harm. Or so the doctor told me the first time I panicked and ran to the emergency room.)

btw: LN is an amazing dusting compound. I would sometimes use it when the boss wasn't around to clear the shop floor of dust. Kind of cool to watch it boil across the floor then disappear, leaving a man-made dust bunny against the wall for clean up. But again, a little more expensive than a mop and a bucket of water.

i used the Hg in chem research back in the 80s when it wasn't boo-hooed like it is now.

funny story... i was having depression problems a few years ago and a friend recommended a 'quack' practitioner who could purge the bad spirits away, and incredibly he diagnosed that i had Hg poisoning (without any case history at all).

go the Hg! still got a couple of litres of the stuff now :biggrin:

the LN is truely great fun to impress kids about science, hey?

Last edited:
It's currently keeping together the two halves of a rubber/plastic Y -connector in the hydraulics system of a Citroen BX 16 TRS. Surprisingly this is the *only* part of the system which I know for certain is not actually currently leaking.

My plan for a permanent solution is to upgrade the tape to duct tape. (solution will not of course fix the leak, which doesn't seem to be happening before car is scrapped)

I use tape exclusively for securing the tape dispenser to the desk so that it doesn’t slip when I reel off the tape…….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xuebohan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back