What are your favorite keyboard short cuts?

OK, I'm dumbfounded. :eeek: I figured that yes, if you typed "keyboard shortcuts" into Excel 2003 help, you'd get what Boller's talking about. But to my surprise, in Excel 2007 help, the Excel shortcuts actually do come up as #3 in the help results; right after shortcuts for Office 2007 system and -- yes, you guessed it -- keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Clip Organizer. I mean, really, how many times have I been in Excel and thought to myself, "if only I had memorized all those shortcuts for the clip organizer, I'd be done with this project by now."? :rolleyes:
I'm amazed it came in as high as #3! That's for the 'online' help. If you turn help offline (which is the setting I tend to use) it comes in at....... #6 after -
Keyboard shortcuts for working with shapes, text boxes, and WordArt
Keyboard shortcuts for SmartArt graphics
Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Clip Organizer
Ribbon, Help, and other Microsoft Office keyboard shortcuts
Use the keyboard to work with Ribbon programs

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
ANyway, I am not sure that MS even know that exists, else why would all MS employees think that Tools>Formula Auditing>Evaluate Formula is the bees knees.

Agreed. I use F9 all the time with formulas (where applicable, anyhow) but never touch formula auditing. It's a poor man's tool in comparison.

Agreed. I use F9 all the time with formulas (where applicable, anyhow) but never touch formula auditing. It's a poor man's tool in comparison.

Hmmm, see I normally go for the Formula Auditing tool. I like the ability to step into pieces. If I have =A1 + D5 + F7 and each of those three, in turn contains a formula/has precedents, I can drill into D5's formula should I want to. If there's a way to drill down using F2 & F9, I'd love to hear of it. The only advantage I see to F2+F9 is the flexibility to highlight whatever term you want to evaluate.

Some of my favorites, not necessarily the most often used.

Windows + D - Minimizes/Maximizes windows
Windows + L - Logs Off
CTRL + ' - Copies the exact formula from above cell

CTRL + ' - Copies the exact formula from above cell
Now there is something I think I'll like...Didn't know about this one. Thanks!

Another one I use is {Alt + plus key} to sum a column of values. And I try to remember CTRL + H instead of CTRL + F for find and replace. BTW I do use F9 a lot and formula auditing almost never - but mostly because of not taking much time to get familiar with it.

oohhhh I kept trying Alexander Barnes Alt + using the keypad and nothing happened. So really it is the Alt + = (not the shift key for the plus). You got me for a minute.

In the Define Name dialog box (Insert - Name Define), the Refers to box can be very
frustrating. Say you want to edit the reference... When you press an arrow key, the cell reference changes! To get into normal "edit" mode in the Refers to box, press F2 first. Then you can edit the range reference using standard techniques.

From [ http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/oddity/P20/ ]

There's some good shortcuts in here that I didn't know about. I was trying some out and I realised that I use only the keyboard to open Excel and Word.

Windows + R excel ENTER
Windows + R winword ENTER

Does anyone else routinely open their apps using the "Run" command rather than the Start Menu?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back