What are your favorite keyboard short cuts?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Boller
alt 0163

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Too bad it's a pisser to get it to work on a laptop without a 10-key pad!

In which case, I suppose the shortcut would be GBP+Enter :eeek:

<!-- / message -->

There's some good stuff in this thread -- could be a candidate for a sticky.

Denis

In which case it's probably worth mentioning that all keyboard shortcuts are conveniently listed by category in the Excel Help file.

<DT>I suppose it's possible that even this one could be a favourite for someone :-</DT>

ALT+SHIFT+UP ARROW
<DT>In Japanese text for which you've displayed phonetic guides, moves the pointer into the phonetic guides.

</DT>

In which case it's probably worth mentioning that all keyboard shortcuts are conveniently listed by category in the Excel Help file.

OK, I'm dumbfounded. :eeek: I figured that yes, if you typed "keyboard shortcuts" into Excel 2003 help, you'd get what Boller's talking about. But to my surprise, in Excel 2007 help, the Excel shortcuts actually do come up as #3 in the help results; right after shortcuts for Office 2007 system and -- yes, you guessed it -- keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Clip Organizer. I mean, really, how many times have I been in Excel and thought to myself, "if only I had memorized all those shortcuts for the clip organizer, I'd be done with this project by now."? :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure all our favorites are listed in the help sections. For example, one of my favorites is; while in edit mode in a formula (F2), you can highlight one part of a complex formula and hit F9 to reveal the result and esc to keep the formula.

Perhaps there are other ways to see this too, but I find it quick and useful while trying to decipher another analysts formula. This is especially true when they do not name cells and the references are scattered in a wildly dysfunctional way and the whole point of the formula is unclear to begin with.

I'm not so sure all our favorites are listed in the help sections. For example, one of my favorites is; while in edit mode in a formula (F2), you can highlight one part of a complex formula and hit F9 to reveal the result and esc to keep the formula.

Perhaps there are other ways to see this too, but I find it quick and useful while trying to decipher another analysts formula. This is especially true when they do not name cells and the references are scattered in a wildly dysfunctional way and the whole point of the formula is unclear to begin with.

But that is not really a shortcut, there is no key combination which will get you there (except F2-F9 which only shows you what you already see in the cell), it is more of a technique that requires a function key to invoke.

ANyway, I am not sure that MS even know that exists, else why would all MS employees think that Tools>Formula Auditing>Evaluate Formula is the bees knees.

OK, I'm dumbfounded. :eeek: I figured that yes, if you typed "keyboard shortcuts" into Excel 2003 help, you'd get what Boller's talking about. But to my surprise, in Excel 2007 help, the Excel shortcuts actually do come up as #3 in the help results; right after shortcuts for Office 2007 system and -- yes, you guessed it -- keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Clip Organizer. I mean, really, how many times have I been in Excel and thought to myself, "if only I had memorized all those shortcuts for the clip organizer, I'd be done with this project by now."? :rolleyes:
Well I guess I can now take down my handy dandy cheat sheet on the Clip Organizer shortcuts when I can so easily get to it within help. :laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back