What are your favorite keyboard short cuts?

Too much typing - that's what Quick Launch is for (Excel is actually in my startup folder anyway...) :)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Does anyone else routinely open their apps using the "Run" command rather than the Start Menu?

For some reason I always open Excel using the icon. Word I frequently open using Run, also notepad makes a frequent appearance as a clipboard organiser, firefox, cmd and calc. Regedit will always be in the history there too because I ahve a habit of tinkering even when there's no need to (if it ain't broke then don't fix it but how do I know if it's broken unless I try and fix it).

Regards

Nick

I often use the Properties button (functions equavlent to Right click or Shift + F10) to bring the Pop menu and the shortcuts avaliable there (like S for Paste special, F for Format cell),
I wonder, if it is a feature of Indian keyboards as no one mentioned about this

I also like Alt+E+I+S for Fill series

There's some good shortcuts in here that I didn't know about. I was trying some out and I realised that I use only the keyboard to open Excel and Word.

Windows + R excel ENTER
Windows + R winword ENTER

Does anyone else routinely open their apps using the "Run" command rather than the Start Menu?

I often use

Windows + R and Notepad enter

I often use the Properties button (functions equavlent to Right click or Shift + F10) to bring the Pop menu and the shortcuts avaliable there (like S for Paste special, F for Format cell),
I wonder, if it is a feature of Indian keyboards as no one mentioned about this
I have the properties button here in the U.S. and use it pretty frequently as well. Just didn't think of it I guess because it is not native to just excel when I first posted in this thread, but would say that I like that shortcut very much as well.

Control + ` is very useful when you want to try and find out which of your formulas has had a value typed over it.

If you turn off the "edit directly in cell option" (Tools>Options>Edit) you can use F2.

I always use Ctrl Shift $ to get quick currency format. Also these:

Ctrl 7 for quick outline
Ctrl Escape for my Start button
Ctrl Shift 8 to highight a block of cells (then Alt I N D to name the range for vlookups or Ctrl 7 to outline)
Shift Space and Ctrl Space use all the time

I find myself just using the Alt key and then the letters to get into the menu options since my hands can stay in typing position. For example, instead of Ctrl 1 I do Alt O E and my fingers can stay in the proper typing position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall813

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back