Things I’ve Learned About The Good Old U S of A From Watching Films And Telly

And finally (for now anyway! :smile: ) have you seriously never used a debug.print statement?:eeek:

I haven't before but I definitely will now. I guess that's the problem with dipping in and out of learning to code without really getting the basic foundations right in the first place. I'm so ashamed!!!:oops:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
IMO, one of the first things anyone wanting to code should do is get to learn the VBE environment - breakpoints, code stepping, Immediate window, debug print/assert statements, watch and locals windows etc. Getting those down cold will save you innumerable hours of fannying about (technical term). Oh, and get MZ Tools installed!!

Rory - where is a good place to learn about breakpoints etc? I know I don't make good use of them either.
(Can't believe you said fanny! :O)
Oh, and what is MZ Tools?
(I hope you've got your phone securely locked away in preparation for tonight ;) )

Rory - where is a good place to learn about breakpoints etc? I know I don't make good use of them either.
(Can't believe you said fanny! :O)
Oh, and what is MZ Tools?
(I hope you've got your phone securely locked away in preparation for tonight ;) )

There's not much to know about breakpoints other than that they are just that - points you set where the code will enter break mode. So if you know the first part of a routine works, you can set a breakpoint on the line immediately following that part, so the code will simply run through and then stop so you can step into the next bit.
MZ Tools is an add-in that adds lots of useful functionality to the VBEditor such as automated code commenting, control copying and so on.
Oh, and it was a lunch we were having, so you're far too late! :)

PS How's XP coming along?

Here are a several films that an American might recommend, at least they seemed to leave an impact on some Americans.

The breakfast club
October Skies
Napoleon Dynamite
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
Office Space
Rudy
Hoosiers
Juno
How the West was won
The Patriot
Witness
Footloose
American Graffiti

Ah, Napolean Dynamite....now there's a great film....goshhhhhhh........

Ah, Napolean Dynamite....now there's a great film....goshhhhhhh........

At least Borat wasn't on the list...Can you believe that won an Oscar ??

Perhaps you have to be English to appreciate Borat! I loved it!

There's not much to know about breakpoints other than that they are just that - points you set where the code will enter break mode.

Yeah, I kind of know what breakpoints and the other stuff are. But I don't really use them very much - my debugging tends to take the form of a lot of message boxes. Which I'm pretty sure falls into the category of fannying about ;) I'm not very imaginative, so I think I probably need to be told the rules of how and when to use everything!

(Can't believe you were drinking at lunchtime!)

Not sure how XP is going yet - my husband was whinging about having to copy all my Hitchhiker audio files somewhere else before he could oojiy the thingamy...

Not sure how XP is going yet - my husband was whinging about having to copy all my Hitchhiker audio files somewhere else before he could oojiy the thingamy...

Oooh Emma, you just said the majik words. I've been searching hi and lo for the original BBC H2G2 tapes. I had them on cassette and the tape broke :(. I'm still guarding the remnants in case I can find a tape surgeon some day.

Where did you get yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back