Lunch and smoke breaks

Well I was the one that started this conversation...I suppose it's only fitting that I kill it too

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
I have a vague recollection that if you do a lot of work in front of a computer (and who doesn't these days) you are entitled to a 5 min break per hour for the sake of your eyes, due to Health and Safety regs. I might have made that up when I was a smoker though!

Anybody have anything to add to rorya's comment there? I would like to see if anybody else has facts on that or has heard it before

It certainly rings a bell, although it may just be guidelines, and I am not sure it is specifically a 'break' ie I don't think it is for 'you time'.

"Every employer shall so plan the activities of users at work in his undertaking that their daily work on display screen equipment is periodically interrupted by such breaks or changes of activity as reduce their workload at that equipment."
Regulation 4 of Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992

The guidelines suggest 5-10 minutes after every 50-60 minutes. But it's not an entitlement to a break from work, just from VDU work, as Bryony said.

That's not actually true. As a royal palace, they are technically exempt, but have decided to abide by the spirit of the legislation anyway.

Then that means it IS true. It is an exception to the rule, They are allowed to smoke there, they have simply CHOSEN not to.

;)
Actually, that one was scepticism, not pedantry - it sounded unlikely, so I googled it! But I do the same thing with virus warnings, and funny stories that claim to be true. I like to think it's attention to detail...

Yesterday, this tread just went silent!! Then I realized most of you guys are in the UK, and went home!! My day only just started an hour ago!! LOL.
I heard of a US company Banning smoking for thier employee totally, at work or home. It of couse was challenged as a infrigment of their workers rights, but as far as remember/know the courts had not struck it down, yet. I cannot recall if the issue was settled. Like I said earlier, it does pose some interesting big issues. Since the we run on the common law system... the precendents are distrubing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back