Lounge?

To lounge or not to lounge?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I too miss the lounge a bit and personally hope that it can be re-opened. But PaddyD hit the nail on the head. The Lounge was a component of MrExcel.com and as such was part of a commercial enterprise. The Lounge was not funded by tax dollars nor by "subscriber fees".

It was/is funded by MrExcel's consulting fees. Bill's foremost responsibility is to the commercial viability of his company and if our behavior jeapordizes that, then he or by proxy through people he has chosen to help in the capacity of moderators should protect the image of his company by taking action to correct threats to his company's professional image. To do otherwise neglects his responsibility to his employees who depend on MrExcel for their livelihood.

Personally, I'm of the opinion "shame on us" for even forcing anyone associated with MrExcel to have to spend time "moderating" us to begin with. I am quite grateful to their company for footing the bill to host this fantastic forum. And I am quite grateful to the many, many posters, who by sharing their knowledge of Excel, make it worth MrExcel.com's while to fund the forum, so that we all benefit and improve our Excel skills.

Greg Truby said:
...."shame on us" for even forcing anyone associated with MrExcel to have to spend time "moderating" us to begin with...

ummm.... so would you care to name a forum without the need for Moderators.... Not that I'm around al of the time, but from the posts that I have read, I got the distinct impression that rightly or wrongly, the issue seems to have been the behaviour of some of the Moderators (??) :rolleyes:

Hi Will,

My point was that we are guests in Bill's place of business. If this were literally an office building and Bill had opened up a conference room to be used as a lounge and someone had stopped by and asked folks to "keep it down, it's gettin' a bit rowdy", (a) it should not have even been necessary to remind us of our manners and (b) we certainly ought not to get our nose bent outta joint about gettin' "shushed".

Can I name a large, open forum that doesn't need moderators? Reckon not, but I'm not a widely-traveled netizen (maybe some site that has to do with needlepoint?) I don't suppose I could name a major city without police or jails either. But I have lived in a small town where the last murder was twenty years ago and they haven't had a local prisoner in the county jail in years (once in a while the sheriff brought some prisoners in from the "big city" to help pay the bills since they paid the county pretty good money for housin' their overflow). Just because something is necessary doesn't mean it should be necessary.

Guys,

You miss my point. I have no need for excuses. I meant that every board needs moderators - I have yet to see one that was "self-moderating". No matter how clear you instructions, people will post in forums that say No Questions & you'll need a Pookie to move them around etc etc they will also do all sorts of other daft stuff... although this is the first Excel forum I've seen where there was so much vitriol between users.

& hey, although my nose has been broken at least twice back in the days when I was still fit enough to play Rugby, it ain't out of joint :LOL: .... to be honest I find the "closing of the Lounge" issue a faintly amusing diversion to the daily pressures of life :wink: Personally I couldn't give a t*ss whether it's open or shut :rolleyes:

Like I said.... rightly or wrongly, the impression I got from reading what was left of the posts that prompted the closure, the issue was centred around the behaviour of some of the Mods & the member reaction that such behaviour initiated... that's the impression the various posts that are left give anyway.

(y)

>>although this is the first Excel forum I've seen where there was so much vitriol between users.

actually, what's going on here is NOTHING compared to a forum I used to moderate at. Course, the complaints at the other forum actually had something to them, not all, but some.
The ones here.... well, if they were made without the extra flaming, they might have more weight than they do in *my* book. It's hard to look at this with clear eyes considering all the finger pointing, ranting and tantrums.

starl said:
It's hard to look at this with clear eyes considering all the finger pointing, ranting and tantrums.

Not to mention missing posts and threads that don't follow.

And this is not a jab, just an observation that its hard to figure out what exactly happened if you weren't involved.

Okay Okay!

you all have had your says regarding the Lounge RIGHTO!

now i will say somethingabout it may be after that the MODERATORS may kick me out of these Lovely Forums.

"JUST PUT UR PERSONAL TALKS OUT OF THESE FORUMS"

and

MREXCEL of MREXCEL FORUMS just open it for the sake of pp like mel who cant post in any section of the Forum except the LOUNGE!! :rolleyes:

Seems to me that pp like mel is a good reason for keeping the lounge closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gregs44132

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back