Lounge?

To lounge or not to lounge?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Felix Atagong said:
I think that the previous message was the final stab in the back to kill The Lounge. :cry: Tu quoque mi fili?
Yes. Correct. As I replied to someone else on a PM, the lounge lost his meaning when (just like this thread is going now...) people started to attack other people, without keeping focus on the topic.

We are open to constructive ideas here. I've read and replied every single PM I've received. But making the same rant that was going on the lounge is not likely to change my mind...

Thanks Juan for the refocus! I was hoping to spawn some constructive solutions with this question. Here's one which may be unworkable but here's a brainstorm option...
Perhaps, 2 or more moderators could okey dokey the removal of posts unless it is obviously offensive in which case a single moderator could temporarily remove the post without consultation until reviewed by 2 or more moderators for the final okey dokey. This would produce the effect of the Board has spoken and individual moderator personal attacks would be prevented. I'd like to see the lounge re-open without the vitreol. Dave

Hello Dave,
NdNoviceHlp said:
Perhaps, 2 or more moderators could okey dokey the removal of posts unless it is obviously offensive in which case a single moderator could temporarily remove the post without consultation until reviewed by 2 or more moderators for the final okey dokey. This would produce the effect of the Board has spoken and individual moderator personal attacks would be prevented.
Actually, not so. All posts that I removed as of late from the Lounge were reviewed by moderators in triplicate (from varying parts of the world). As you may have noticed, the results were no better!

XL-Dennis said:
Will,

Mr Nate have the right to have a different opinion on what is being the subject here so please accept it and don't joke with him.

Mr Nate, I really hope You will be recovering from the "I'm god"-disease as You, after all, can contribute with some input to the Excel-community.

Let me know if I can help You in any matter. I know some other administrators and moderators on other boards as well that suffer from the same disease as You do.

At present I strongly suggest that You rest from all kind of forum-life and turn off the computer(s). I believe that Juan et al can agree on to give You the status of "retired" moderator or even God if necessary. Find a nice women and get a life outside this virtual reality.

Take care and all the best from,
Dennis & XL

(XL is my dog :biggrin: )

Denis, you are hilarious :biggrin:

Sorry Nate but a good point is a good point, still I think they are countless others who suffer with the deity-itis and they're not just MVPs and nor do they solely exist at Mr E.

I think the lounge is dead which in a way is a bad thing but in a good way protects us all from crap jokes.

I am sure someone could spawn there own forum for Mr E related to chat which is obviously unofficial and is in no way linked to the real Mr E. The alternative room perhaps?[/b]

lasw10 said:
Sorry Nate but a good point is a good point, still I think they are countless others who suffer with the deity-itis and they're not just MVPs and nor do they solely exist at Mr E.
I disagree; I don't think it was a good point. It's ignorant conjecture running parallel to the type of slander that was problematic in the Lounge.

Here's reality: Neither you nor Dennis even knew that I was humble enough to ask two other moderators about questionable posts prior to taking action, and I suspect that the assumption was otherwise.

With this in mind, it begs the question, why are you or Dennis so well poised to assess my personality and/or methods/conventions? The simple truth is you're not, this being the premise for my stated conclusion.

This will be my last post on the matter as I have not been one for causing aggravation in any room on this site and have no intention of starting.

That said...

The fact that a number of users have found both your posts and your actions as moderator questionable tells its own story.

I don't recall questioning as to whether or not you had sought 'approval' from other moderators so find it interesting that you presume to be able to determine my 'vilification' of you.

Nate, I have learnt some interesting things from you in the past and don't question your ability in the XL field, it's just that perhaps that is where you should devote your time - i see few posts from you in this area - you appear to be more willing to pass judgement on others than on XL matters (and the same can be said of others).

Nice work with the thesaurus incidentally.

Now can we move the topic on, conceded I diverted it again and for that I apologise.

Sort of.

I don't recall questioning as to whether or not you had sought 'approval' from other moderators so find it interesting that you presume to be able to determine my 'vilification' of you.
Of course you didn’t. You were too busy giving Dennis the 'thumbs up' regarding his slanderous statements directly using my name. All right, perhaps we should take this to a PM discussion, please include how I should have interpreted your post using my name?

Nate, I have learnt some interesting things from you in the past and don't question your ability in the XL field, it's just that perhaps that is where you should devote your time - i see few posts from you in this area - you appear to be more willing to pass judgement on others than on XL matters (and the same can be said of others).
Fair enough. Your comments here are completely anecdotal, but okay, I'll humor you. How much would you prefer that I post on Excel?
Book4
ABCD
1Nate's Board Activity
2Threads2354
3Excel197884.0%
4Access291.2%
5Lounge1365.8%
6Q&A381.6%
7Test220.9%
Sheet1

We'll allocate the 5.8% to the Excel forum for the most part. Is 90% significant enough? Incidentally, I also have several thousand posts on the subject elsewhere.

Now can we move the topic on, conceded I diverted it again and for that I apologise.
Please do.

MrExcel has some problems like other forumas as well. In that there are no differences.

To sum up the key-problems:
- Lack of clarity when it comes to rules.
MrExcel is no longer a smal community and You need to realize that the
"happy family" does not exist.
- Moderator(s) who don't play by the rules and the lack of fair play.
- Individuals who don´t act according to the rules.

The first item shouldn´t be any problem - look around on other board and I´m total convinced that You can set a good level which most members can accept and act accordingly.

The second item is dangerous for the board. If moderators act without any good judgement and a insight what the power of being a moderator really means then the board is only one step away from the bone-yard.

Moderator(s) are the ones that set the standard in a forum.

The third item shouldn't be any problem if the rules has a clarity and the moderators act as they should.

It´s fully acceptable that moderators:

a) delete threads and individual post as long as the actions are based on good judgement and based on the agreed rules.

b) send PMs to individuals with remark(s) and a request to behave better.

Mr Nate - I stand for the hard critism in Your role as a moderator here.
You have dramatical changed Your attitude in a negative way that have a negative impact of the forum which I only can regret.

Dennis, this is simply more rhetoric that has nothing to do with the OPs question. Please move along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back