Intelligence Quotient !?!!? (Fun Questions)

1 cent
5 cent
10 cent
25 cent
50 cent

But 50 cent pieces are quite rare, as they are not made anymore that I am aware. There was also once 2 cent pieces.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Well, taking the question at face value, I think 9 coins: 4 pennies, 1 nickel, 2 dimes, 1 quarter, 1 half dollar.

Am I missing something more subtle?

EDIT - I make it only 8 coins with British currency, so we're clearly much more efficient ;)

Last edited:
Stand in a corner of any square room, Facing the opposite Corner. look straight ahead
That's what I was missing - I'm used to having to face the wall when standing in the corner! :)

Well, taking the question at face value, I think 9 coins: 4 pennies, 1 nickel, 2 dimes, 1 quarter, 1 half dollar.

Am I missing something more subtle?

EDIT - I make it only 8 coins with British currency, so we're clearly much more efficient ;)

That is techincally correct. But I didn't include that the total value of all coins cannot exceed 99 Cents. Sorry...

the tricky part of the question is that most people forget about the half dollar coin...It's not commonly used. In fact most people get annoyed when given a half dollar coin in change because it can't be used in most vending machines.

And yes, it's still in production. According to the us treasurey.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/coins/denominations.shtml#q5

Last edited:
That's the one..Should've known better than to ask a math related riddle in this forum. I thought the half dollar would throw off more poeple...

Going back to the buckets of water. Would a bowling ball float? If the water was ice in the form of cubes does it have a better chance of hitting the bottom of the bucket?

The sides of a cube one is all about thinking inside the box, so 6 is the right answer?

What about the one about why all man hole covers a circular?

Last edited:
Why don't you have many half dollars in circulation?
It's about convenience. Most people would rather have 2 quarters than a half dollar. Because the half dollar is quite large and can't be used in vending machines.

What about the one about why all man hole covers a circular?
Because it is impossible for the circular manhole cover to fall through the hole. A sqare cover (or any other shape) could fall through the hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back