Intelligence Quotient !?!!? (Fun Questions)

To Riaz & JonMo,

While I thank you for your votes of confidence; my observation is that for truly cunning punning, Rory & Riaz are our wizards of wordplay. Though I should think Paul (hatman) might slip a quip into the mix.

-- I just noted that the pun thread has taken flight. While I've not yet perused it, I would guess that Riaz &/or Rory is/are already pulling away from the peletón.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
8. If I were in Hawaii and dropped a bowling ball in a bucket of water which is 45 degrees F, and dropped another ball of the same weight, mass, and size in a bucket at 30 degrees F, both of them at the same time, which ball would hit the bottom of the bucket first?

Has anyone ever tried putting a bowling ball in a bucket? I don't think it would fit.

Unless it was a particularly big bucket, it would get wedged in the sides, therefore it wouldn't reach the bottom at all.

This is a good one!

#8. The question doesn't say there's water in the colder bucket. So, supposing the buckets' dimensions allow both balls to hit their bottoms, that ball will hit the bottom of the colder bucket first.

The question also doesn't state what kind of water is used. It's possible, if both buckets do have water, that the colder bucket has salt water. Salt lowers water's freezing temperature, but it also increases water's density. So, a ball could still hit the bottom of a bucket of salt water that's colder than 30º F, but that ball would be more buoyant, so its travel to the bucket's bottom would be impeded more than a ball in fresh water. That means the temperature effects of salting water might be washed out by the density effects of salting water. So, ah, forget it...

My LOGIC:

2. A man gave one son 10 cents and another son was given 15 cents. What time is it?

[*]1:45. The man gave away a total of 25 cents. He divided it between two people. Therefore, he gave a quarter to two.

Why wouldn't the time be 1:35 since he gave 25 to two? He didn't use a quarter.

Why wouldn't the time be 1:35 since he gave 25 to two? He didn't use a quarter.

We could go all day with that..

He didn't give 25 to two people, He split the 25 cents between 2 people, giving 10 to 1 and 15 to 1. Split the difference is 12.5 to 1 = 12:47:30

1. There is one word in the English language that is always pronounced incorrectly. What is it?
Incorrectly

2. A man gave one son 10 cents and another son was given 15 cents. What time is it?
13:39 - well thats the time now anyway.

3. A boat has a ladder that has six rungs, each rung is one foot apart. The bottom rung is one foot from the water.
The tide rises at 12 inches every 15minutes. High tide peaks in one hour. When the tide is at it's highest, how many rungs are under water?
None

4. There is a house with four walls. Each wall faces south. There is a window in each wall. A bear walks by one of the windows. What color is the bear?
White - Must be a polar bear

5. Is half of two plus two equal to two or three?
Three or Two

6. There is a room. The shutters are blowing in. There is broken glass on the floor. There is water on the floor. You find Sloppy dead on the floor. Who is Sloppy? How did Sloppy die?
Fish - must have blown over the bowl

7. How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide that has been dug with a square edged shovel?
None

8. If I were in Hawaii and dropped a bowling ball in a bucket of water which is 45 degrees F, and dropped another ball of the same weight, mass, and size in a bucket at 30 degrees F, both of them at the same time, which ball would hit the bottom of the bucket first?
45 Degrees

Same question, but the location is in Canada ?
45 Degrees

9. What is the significance of the following: The year is 1978, thirty-four minutes past noon on May 6th. ?
12:34 5/6/78 (but not in the UK cos it would be the 5th June)

10. If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the other field, how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in the center field?
1 Very big Hay stack

11. What is it that goes up and goes down but does not move?
Temperature

Last edited:
I posted these in my office. Lets see in anyone can figure them out!:biggrin:

I think this one is a little bit wrong.

Should be
8. If I were in Hawaii and dropped a bowling ball in a bucket of water which is 45 degrees , and dropped another ball of the same weight, mass, and size in a bucket at 30 degrees , both of them at the same time, which ball would hit the bottom of the bucket first?
One bucket is frozen and one is not

Both would be liquid, so a different answer?

Cal

Celsius vs fahrenheit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BPNuyttens

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back