Gin?

No ovaltine?

You know on second thought, I should have taken the ovaltine with the gin, because I didn't sleep well last night. Frau Blucher's smoldering cigar and incessant violin playing kept me up for hours.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Recently my mother-in-law brought me a bottle of Seagram's Gin (original) to replace the Tanqueray she drinks when she visits. Now I haven't opened it, or ever tried it. Is this a good gin? Should I return it for Tanqueray? She wouldn't have to know I returned it.

Anyone have an opinion?

Buying a gin is not bad or not good in my opinion.I recommend you to go for an exchange.

Only last year I ventured out of the Scottish highlands (figuratively) and onto the Isle of Islay with a Caol Ila, wow! I like it neat with a splash of water. Fortunately for me, my mother-in-law doesn't like my single malts. Now, that could really get expensive.

If you added water it isn't neat!

I tend to prefer water with my whisky, just a dash to take the alcohol bite of and to encourage its nose, but recently Ken Puls (a keen whisky drinker himself) assured me that you can get that same effect by cupping the glass for a while, imparting your warmth into the whisky. Anyone else find this?

BTW, if you like Caol Ila, try a Lagavulin. A good bottle is my favourite still.

Indeed, neat means nothing added, what-so-ever. One of my ex-girlfriend's poison of choice was Wild Turkey - neat. :eeek:

I prefer some rocks with my whiskey, not much else, generally.

Recently my mother-in-law brought me a bottle of Seagram's Gin (original) to replace the Tanqueray she drinks when she visits. Now I haven't opened it, or ever tried it. Is this a good gin? Should I return it for Tanqueray? She wouldn't have to know I returned it.

Anyone have an opinion?
Seagram's is generally a more rail-like liquor, cheaper. If I was going to drink Gin, it'd be Tanq-10 or Sapphire.

Ok. This is one thread I cannot pass by without comment...even if I am being a bit redundant.

When gin is the question, Bombay Sapphire is the answer. Clean, sparkley(spelling?) and so many levels of herbal pleasure that each taste is almost a new experience.

"Whisky" or "Whiskey"? Hmmm.

When not drinking Sapphire, I drink Crown Royal--ok, ok, not quite the the level of some mentioned prior, but tasty on a cold winter's eve anyway. But I do enjoy an occasional bottle of The Glenlivet and have on several occasions enjoyed a single malt that a friend lives by called "Sheep Dip", of all things.

As for the other distillations that I could barely read, let alone pronounce, I will leave that to those who know better. All I can say is that when something does not taste good, it does not cross my lips twice.

If you added water it isn't neat!

I tend to prefer water with my whisky, just a dash to take the alcohol bite of and to encourage its nose, but recently Ken Puls (a keen whisky drinker himself) assured me that you can get that same effect by cupping the glass for a while, imparting your warmth into the whisky. Anyone else find this?

BTW, if you like Caol Ila, try a Lagavulin. A good bottle is my favourite still.

I stand corrected. After watching a Laphroaig webcast I've now started to cup my whisky, for warmth, without water. Now I can say I like it neat (Laphroaig quarter cask is my latest).

Is there a Lagavulin you recommend? Recently I tried an Ardbeg (entry level) that wasn't very impressive. That really surprised me since I've heard great things about it.

Cheers!

I stand corrected. After watching a Laphroaig webcast I've now started to cup my whisky, for warmth, without water. Now I can say I like it neat (Laphroaig quarter cask is my latest).

Is there a Lagavulin you recommend? Recently I tried an Ardbeg (entry level) that wasn't very impressive. That really surprised me since I've heard great things about it.

I am surprised that you don't like the Ardberg, I find it a very pleasant malt myself.

The 'basic' Lagavulin is a 16 year old, but there is a very nice 15 year old double matured Distillers Edition (as there is for Oban, Talisker, Caol Ila, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cragganmore) which as well as being ,atured in bourbon casks is also matured in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks, which has the effect of sweetening it, softening some of the harsher alcoholic edges IMO, whilst retaining the lovely peaty, orangey, oily fish, liquorice flavours and long finish. It is at a premium to the 16 year old, but not that much.

I haven't tasted the Dalwhinnie or Glenkinchie DE finishes, but I can say that all of peaty DE malts, Lagavulin, Oban, Talisker and Caol Ila are appelaing finishes to me, whislt I have just tried the Cragganmore (which is a Speyside) DE for the first time today, and I enjoyed that enormously. Incidentally I tried the new English whisky, St Georges Chapter 4 yesterday - it was pleasant and complex, but a tad short on follow through IMO.

Last edited:
I am surprised that you don't like the Ardberg, I find it a very pleasant malt myself.

The 'basic' Lagavulin is a 16 year old, but there is a very nice 15 year old double matured Distillers Edition (as there is for Oban, Talisker, Caol Ila, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cragganmore) which as well as being ,atured in bourbon casks is also matured in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks, which has the effect of sweetening it, softening some of the harsher alcoholic edges IMO, whilst retaining the lovely peaty, orangey, oily fish, liquorice flavours and long finish. It is at a premium to the 16 year old, but not that much.

I haven't tasted the Dalwhinnie or Glenkinchie DE finishes, but I can say that all of peaty DE malts, Lagavulin, Oban, Talisker and Caol Ila are appelaing finishes to me, whislt I have just tried the Cragganmore (which is a Speyside) DE for the first time today, and I enjoyed that enormously. Incidentally I tried the new English whisky, St Georges Chapter 4 yesterday - it was pleasant and complex, but a tad short on follow through IMO.

I haven't given up on the Ardbeg, the finish was just too little comparing it to the delicious peaty Laphroaig quarter cask. I think I just need to try some other Ardbeg whisky.

Thanks for the DE malt tip, I'll keep my eyes open for those. The Lagavulin was top of my list next to try.

Incidentally, I have framed in my office my certificate for a life time lease on a square foot of Islay from John Cambell at Laphroiag. I have learned that they no longer mail these out, so I am in the lucky few who received one of the last ones in 2009. Clever marketing, I think, but Royal air mail from Port Ellen can't be cheap.

Tanqeray is the way to go.
Bombay is nice if you dont actually like gin. Avoid the cheap stuff at all costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back