Gerund vs Present Participle

that's what we call the bright light one sees out-of- doors

Is this some kind of phenomenon you guys get outside the UK? All I see when I look out the door is this kinda wet stuff falling to the ground.........

And Richard, you're in Basingstoke right? It falls harder there, I don't blame you for not venturing out.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
In that case, ga'head 'n' order a pint 'n' post away. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate. A chap I work with got hitched this weekend. Normally this time of year most places in the Midwest are hotter'n a firecracker, so they planned an indoor weddin'. 'Twas a good move, rained six inches there Saturday. Yet here, 100 miles east of where he was, we didn't get a drop.

Richard, I didn't have you down as a Caravan-Man !

Believe me Luke, never again! Actually, the caravan (for our American chums read: trailer) really wasn't bad at all. It was just the weather made it pants. But it's the last holiday for a while that I have where we actually go away from home with the kids. Days out from now on!

I'm glad you cleared that up because I never new a caravan was a trailer in the UK.
Yep, over here if you say "caravan", I think most of us Americans would think "mini-van", because Dodge makes a mini-van called the "Caravan".

I've heard it said that the USA and UK are two countries separated by a common language. On that note...
How bad is it if something is "pants", as in "the weather made it pants"? In the states, pants are something we wear. Really. To work. Every day.
If someone has gone "librarian-poo", what kind of doctor should we call? :lol:
If Emma were from the states, she would have caught the extraneous apostrophe in "4 days' straight"...it took me a while to remember that there's a surplus of them in some parts of the world :)
Cindy

What with being a german and all that I can't help cindy with her pants :), but I can enlighten her as to the librarian poo

There is an author called Terry Pratchet, who writes fantasy, in particular the DiscWorld series. In this series of books, a recurring figure is the librarian of the(magic) unseen university, who has gotten turned into an Orang Utan by a magical accident a long time ago. Everybody is of course used to him being an Orang Utan. However, every now and then a new character is introduced to the cast of thousands. when he crosses the way of the librarian and is unfortunate enough to call him a monkey, the librarian will go totally librarian poo - for he is an APE, not a MONKEY!

hope that clears that up at least...

quick OT detour

Welcome back, already(!!), Richard.

I wonder sometimes why so many people live where the weather is miserable.

Mid-winter here in Perth. Barely a cloud all week. Must be about 20°C every day. Clear, starry nights. When I was living in Cairns, also clear skies most winter days - just a bit warmer there. Usually 28°C in winter. Great beach weather.

Take it easy. Enjoy the break, mate. Regards, Fazza

Re: quick OT detour

Richard - sorry to hear about your holiday - cooped up children are no fun. I think it's supposed to be nicer tomorrow and Friday (assuming you believe in weather forecasts) - have you got some good trips planned? The Mary Rose is always a fun day out...

Cindy - pants means "a bit rubbish". Pants are also something we wear. Really. To work. Every day. But under our trousers. ;) (Oh, and welcome to the podium!)

yytsunamiyy - TP is a funny, funny man. I own just about everything he's written.

Fazza - you are very mean!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back