Gerund vs Present Participle

I'll let you know if there are any strong counter-arguments from the other side, but I think I'm convinced. Thanks for the education Rory (is there anything you don't know?) - and Lewiy, thank you for the diversion!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I don't know half the stuff I should know, and I know a lot of stuff that's of no use to anyone! Everything in between, I just state as fact and see what happens... :biggrin: (that's my philosophy training)

Yeah, I find that works quite well too ;)

(Are you really a philosopher? I switched to philosophy in my final year at uni, after they gently suggested maths wasn't the subject for me, and I loved it. Although trying to argue against positions that I "knew" were wrong, but couldn't work out why, did my head in!)

Yep - that's what my degree is in. Not worth the paper it's printed on, as you would expect!

Although trying to argue against positions that I "knew" were wrong, but couldn't work out why, did my head in!)

But it can be fun trying sometimes....and rewarding when you manage to convince someone!! Have you seen the film Thank You For Smoking? If not, I highly recommend it to anyone interested in those kinds of arguments....taught me a thing or two!!

I'm a mathematician myself so I never had to argue anything at school really.....just have to enjoy what I can from "intellectual" conversation.

And thanks to both of you for your input here. At least I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that the original question was genuinely quite a tricky one and worth discussing.....nothing worse than getting yourself into these kinds of situations only to discover that you were just simply wrong!!! :)

Its discussions like these that remind me why I majored in Mathematics and not English!

But it can be fun trying sometimes....and rewarding when you manage to convince someone!!

I was 20, had only a few months of formal philosophy training, and was arguing with PhD students and lecturers who had heard the material dozens of times before. Not surprisingly, I didn't convince anyone. :biggrin:

Joe - it's grammar - it practically is mathematics!
Then I'd love to see the formulas!

The English language has so many rule exceptions, its maddening!

Another reason I love Mr Excel.

I used to think I was weird... :nervous:

I had never even heard of a Gerund... sounds something more suited to "Time Team" and archaeology to me... but I'm an Essex boy so I know little of nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hickman156

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back