MrExcel Excel Videos

Learn Excel from MrExcel - Excel tips and tricks from Bill Jelen.
A question from YouTube on how to write a macro to mark duplicates in each row where duplicates over the value of 5 are marked in red and under 5 are marked in blue. This can be done without a macro, using two formula-based conditional formatting rules. However - the formula will change depending on if you want to mark both halves of the duplicate or just the 2nd occurrence of the duplicate.
Say that a co-worker writes a VLOOKUP to a closed workbook and refers to $A$1:$S$99,19 to grab a value from column S. The co-worker sends you the linking workbook but not the linked workbook. Perhaps there is some confidential information in columns B through R of that workbook. Everyone involved might be initially surprised that you can take the linking workbook to a new computer, without access to the closed workbook on the original computer, and drag out the entire table stored in A1:S99 of the closed workbook, including the confidential bits. I will admit I was initially surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everyone should be aware of this, and think before you set up wide VLOOKUPs to closed workbooks.
You have a 5x5 Risk and Severity Matrix. Separately, there is a database of events. Each is assigned a risk and severity. Place the record number from each event in the proper box. If more than one record falls in a cell, join them with commas in between. After consulting with ExcelisFun, I went with a custom function in VBA. Can you think of a formula that wouldn't be repetitively silly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSRL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back