Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • What the heck in Personal.xls?

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I use personal.xls (.xlsb now) to store macros that don't belong to a single workbook...pretty much a repository. (Used to be for custom toolbars...oh well).
Also, a couple of times a year I need to summarize data from 1500 to 5000 machine data files as a set, with a fair amount of data in each (85 columns by ~2000 rows). It's easiest for me to have my tried and true macros handy, rather than lost somewhere in a workbook that I've moved to some other folder, renamed, etc. It also ensures that when I find something that needs to change, it's only in one place. I don't have to go digging to figure out which version of which file had the right code in it.
I've created one or two add-ins for those macros that turned out to be useful for other folks. I haven't had to update a distributed add-in yet...that's for next month. I'll have to check out the links in the earlier posts.

I created a Personal.xls for myself long ago, but I renamed it. So I guess technically I do not use Personal.xls ...

Keyboard shortcuts are in there, some menu items, various routines for dealing with imported data - stuff I do daily/weekly - sorting, stripping, cleaning. Otherwise, I tend to create macro workbooks for specific tasks that may come up, but less frequently. One button on my toolbar just for getting rid of wrapped text when exporting from Access (Joe4, saw you have one for Access too). Coffee Mug. I don't remember the piggy bank? How did I miss it. Can't bring myself to put a smiley face up there ...

Last edited:
I've got some personal add-ins and use personal.xls too. A few handy basic routines - a standard re-format of data from a database (format the headers, left align text, whatever), set up footers & headers how I like them. There must be over a dozen. All instantly available via familiar CTRL-SHIFT-shortcut keys. A good boost to productivity - not that I need that. Things happen quickly!

A few of my most used ones are for formatting and summarising standard SAP reports how I like them. I save myself hours every week using these little beasties.

I get all lost when I'm at someone else's PC frantically pressing Ctrl+Shift+? and nothing happens!!!

Dom

I never really got in the habit of using Personal.xls -- probably because I move around so much it'd drive me crazy.
I tend to push useful stuff into a workbook that I use as a code library, and use that instead. Also, if I need to process / update multiple workbooks I will write code in one master and update all workbooks from there. The code still gets to live in one place, it's just more portable.

Denis

I use it, but more along the lines of why Dom does. I have a bunch of formatting code to make report generation easier. I also keep a few code snippets handy for more common board questions (like boilerplate change event code). The rest I keep categorized in a file library of sorts (which I need to consolidate one of these years...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back