Do you use Personal.xls?

• Yes

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • What the heck in Personal.xls?

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
One thing I'm working on at the moment is an addin that needs to go on quite a wide distribution. The plan is to include a routine that looks at the addin version # and see if it is the same version # as the master on a specific directory. If a newer version exists (on a per module basis actually), then it removes the old one and imports the new one. I've not done this before but I know Mikey B has had some success with a similar process before...

I'd be very interested in that. I hope you plan to post your code here.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
If anyone knows of a good write-up on the web on Add-Ins, please pass it along, and I will check it out in my spare time!

I should probably learn as well, my story is much the same, but probably with more sub standard macro's than any of you guys! :laugh:

I just know when I'm relieved of everyone elses jobs (when people come back from maternity) I'll be asked to set them up the big 3.
Hopefully by that time I'll have enhanced my VBA skills and have learnt how to make them into an add-in!

Hi Joe,

Add-ins (I mean .xla / .xlam in this context) are not without their own set of problems.

When an add-in is shared amongst users there are two important tricks in relation to updating it:

(1) Making sure all users are using the correct, shared version (when installed it is not copied to their local drive)
(2) Making sure all users have read-only access

Ken Puls wrote a really good article here:
http://www.excelguru.ca/node/45

Welcome to Richard's club. ;)

I use personal.xls for functions and code that pretty much only I will or should use.

I use add-ins for distributing things to other people generally although I have got a couple I've thought worth creating for my own use.

Pint of G&T, a nice steak and a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape for this stellar contribution please :-)

Dom

Welcome to the Plagiarist Crew! Colin you are the third member after me and Andrew Poulsom! You now have to buy me a further round of beer!

Thanks for the links on those. Learning how to create Add-Ins is one of those things that has been on my mental "to do" list for about five years now. No excuses for me anymore!

Just have to find the time to do it now (still trying to catch-up at work after last week's vacaction!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back