Votes: 16 25.4%
  • What the heck in Personal.xls?

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
I don't - I store my code online (at MrExcel.com) :biggrin:

A G&T would be nice, Colin.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I use it every day (for the ones I have to press at least 10 times a day)

I've also set some up for colleagues who don't know the first thing about VBA but like what it can do. :)

Seeing as I posted do I get a drink too? I think I need one after the week I've had so far!

toolbar button customisation is not so simple and I get confused by all those identical green buttons.

I've changed mine so they look different, even thought I haven't got round to making more sensible icons.

I currently have a Cloud (Reports Macro), a Piggie bank (Save to Import Macro) and a Mouse (Save for creations Macro) on my toolbar.

Last edited:
Guinness for me. If everyone is coming, then I'll get the 2,000th round in. ;)

I use it a lot, and have set-up many of the users around the office with it also, as it helps with a lot of repetitive formatting tasks. Some of things I have it are procedures to:

- Format Social Security Numbers (remove dashes, add leading zeroes if necessary)
- Format Zip Codes
- Format data copied and pasted from Access
- Remove unwanted "special" characters by ASCII code
- Combine a long list of entries in mutliple cells into one string with a delimiter and text qualifier specified at run-time (useful for creating an email list, or a criteria list to use in SQL programming)

As you can tell, we work with a lot of data. It saves me a ton of time and our users love it and can't live without it!

That's really interesting, Joe. I use add-ins.

If you wanted to update one of the procedures, what's the best way to get that update into each user's personal.xls?

I'd do that as an add-in, myself. To my mind Personal.xls is, well, personal. Anything for distribution gets made into an add-in.

Colin and Rory,

Both very good points. The truth of the matter is I created these procedures years ago, and very rarely do we ever update them (we might add a new one once a year for a specific group of people). It is kind of a nuisnace when someone gets a new computer and I need to add it though.

Why don't I use Add-Ins?
This truly started out as a personal macro workbook just for me. Then others saw the benefit of it, so I gave it to a few people. Before I knew it, I was giving it to everyone.

And I am embarrassed to say, I never really took the time to learn how to convert it to an Add-In (actually, I have never created an Add-In).

I suppose I should learn how to do that and how to distribute them some day. If anyone knows of a good write-up on the web on Add-Ins, please pass it along, and I will check it out in my spare time!

Sure do - JKP has a great article here.

...what's the best way to get that update into each user's personal.xls?

Not that I've ever done this but I suppose the workbook could site on a shared directory.. But that makes it not so personal anymore.

One thing I'm working on at the moment is an addin that needs to go on quite a wide distribution. The plan is to include a routine that looks at the addin version # and see if it is the same version # as the master on a specific directory. If a newer version exists (on a per module basis actually), then it removes the old one and imports the new one. I've not done this before but I know Mikey B has had some success with a similar process before...

I suppose similar can be done on Personal.xls...

Personally I agree with Rory. If it needs distributing then it should be ackaged as an addin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back