What's in a name?

And I would have expected it to be pronounced bree-OWN-ee.

Heh, heh... reminds me of a girl from North Dakota I met through a friend YEARS ago... we snail mailed each other for a few months before I flew her out to the East Coast for our first Face to face (and her first exposure to the ocean). Well, her name was spelled Tonia... so early in the mailings, I painstakingly listed several possible pronunciation I could think of for her name... and I dilligently used the pronunciation she had selected, when in conversation with my friends. When I actually met for the first time, not only did I not recognize her (since her high-school photo was re-touched, or of someone else entirely) but I also discovered that she had no idea how to use a pronunciation key, and had randomly selected the incorrect pronunciation from my list, hence I had been butchering her name for months.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
LOL. In which case she probably deserved it!

And I would have expected it to be pronounced bree-OWN-ee.

The stress is on the first syllable.

I had the same tutor for three years at university and he was the person giving out the degrees at the end. In front of the whole college, I was called across the stage as bree-OWN-ee. He had taught me for THREE years, and STILL got it wrong every time. I don't mind people getting it wrong, but after so long? Grr!

I'll just stick with Patience. Then again... since we'll probably never meet, I suppose it doesn't matter how I butcher - I mean pronounce - your name.

I went through high school with a Bryony and she pronounced it Bri-o-nee - but then again, we used kiwi-english, not merrycan-english.

That sounds about right in my head. But I guess the stress there is in the middle.

This mispronouncing names discussion reminds me of one my brother told me: One of his friends in college had gone out on a date with a girl who later forgot his name (apparently, he made a great impression). Not wanting to own up to the fact that she forgot, she tried to be clever about it and ask him how he spelled his name. He laughed and said "yeah... it's just E-D". :lol:

I went through high school with a Bryony and she pronounced it Bri-o-nee - but then again, we used kiwi-english, not merrycan-english.

But... *splutters at keyboard*

both Bryony and I speak English, that's English-English not your b'astardised versions of our lovely and beautiful language. :) :)

Anyway, try to read some of these out aloud...

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
22) Have you read this yet? Well, read it again!

We all like to think we are somewhat special, at least to some one, and a few are special to more than are others, that is the lure of noteriety. And, that is the rub, the noticed are targeted by both fame and exploitation, so in the quest, we want both to be noticed and ignored. Schizophrenia proves to be a hard road to travel.

The sand on a beach or dune, when looked at really close, display some grains that are breathtakingly beautiful and others quite plain, but when looked at together and at once appear all the same!

So, do we embrace the world with hope and wonder or do we maneuver the world with caution and fear?

Right or wrong, naive or sophisticated, both share risks.

The world contains at least two types of people; When the invaders have moved through every town before us leaving only spoil and are on the move to our town, two peoples arise. The first beg all others not to risist and to open up to the invaders, so more will be spared. These are motivated by both fear and hope. The other group will fight, even when winning is only wishful thinking, knowing the next town may far better for the effort made here? These are motivated by both remorse and hope. Both types offer "hope."

I have always used my real name or a version of it, I am happy with who I am, but I hope to be better. I worry that this may not be enough, but I will not let this stop me. If not for myself then for others not as fortunate, but I will not prevent others from learning for themselves, for that would be way to presumptuous. Who am I, just one grain among all others. If the world is wrong and at my gate, I am in the other camp and will fight with all I have; because I know, at a distance all grains of sand look the same, but up close some are more special than others.

If someone uses my name or picture for ill, and I have made it too easy, I know it could be done, even if I had done differently. I eat well, exercise get regular medical care, but can be hit by a bus tomarrow, like anyone else could be. So, in the immortal words of "Alfred E. Neuman" of Mad Magazine fame: "What me Worry?"

Is it even possible for the mere mortals amongst us to change our usernames ??? I'm stuck with mine because I didn't know what else to use but for the most part people refer to it incorrectly anyway ! The alphas in mine are my initials and the numerics are the day of my birth... I wouldn't mind changing mine ... hint hint, nudge nudge...

PS absquatulation -- I like that!

One of the admins should be able to sort that out for you. I messaged Von Pookie and she changed mine a while ago..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back