What is your Concentration Music?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Good question - it has provoked interesting answers. Intriguing that Pink Floyd gets so many nods. For me it’s actually New Age stuff. I stumbled across it radio surfing the internet and found that it works well for me when I’m programming. Surprisingly, I’ve found that Electronica/Club Dance music also usually works quite well. In both cases I have the volume low on noise-canceling headphones. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
How about the opposite question? What music is impossible for you to work to? [Office chatter or the guy/gal in the next cubicle talking too loudly on the phone is on everyone’s list, so we'll call that a "gimme".] For me, I cannot do any kind of sustained, deep concentration to golden oldies or Motown. Temptations? Sam Cooke? Elvis? Fats Domino? Frankie Valli? Huh uh. Within a few bars I’m wanting to stand up and belt it out like a drunk at a karaoke bar. I can sort e-mails or such, but zero productivity on anything complicated.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

The only music I find impossible to work with is the music played during those times when I have my headphones off and either mine are still playing on the desktop or someone else is rocking out at top volume three cubes down. The "music" is just loud enough to create a noise that is almost indistinguishable as any particular song. It's the sound that ends up annoying like a mosquito buzzing in your ear in bed at midnight.

And don't forget the co-worker who taps his/her fingers on the desk or foot on the floor... slow torture.

That's when my headphones come out for sure.

Funny, I can go all day listening (and working) to the very music Greg finds impossible. :laugh:

What I can not work to, listen to, (read that tolerate in any way shape or form)... is anything that rhymes with crap - or sounds anywhere close to anything that does. :mad: Just can't do it.
There's not much that'll make me put the boot to the Bose, but that will in an instant.

I absolutely cannot stand Marilyn Manson and the like. I can feel my blood pressure rising whenever I hear it.

My question is, what should I do about the coworker who, when I'm in deep concentration, always walks up behind me and shouts, "Wake up!" Homicide seems appropriate, but Human Resources frowns on it.
Seems like you need to cultivate your "angry eyes"...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/3007738598_0a1700c3e1.jpg

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=a...f43c0N&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CBEQ_AU

My wife has angry eyes that could kill a cute little bunny at 500 metres, if she so chose to use her powers for evil...

Marilyn Manson and the like. I can feel my blood pressure rising whenever I hear it.
Make you want to 'put the boot to the Bose' does it? :biggrin:

I remember the days when WE (the consumer) told the recording industry what was 'hot' by what we would buy.
Now it seems the industry is deciding what's hot, (in advance in most cases anymore!), they tell our kids what's hot and that's what the kids buy! :rolleyes:

I prefer the old way.

I remember the days when WE (the consumer) told the recording industry what was 'hot' by what we would buy.
Now it seems the industry is deciding what's hot, (in advance in most cases anymore!), they tell our kids what's hot and that's what the kids buy! :rolleyes:

I prefer the old way.

Actually, I think internet "voting" by way of clicking on various downloads or music or playing videos is probably fairly democratic in the sense that it enables young music consumers to pick from a much greater variety than we had under a cartel of major music labels & radio stations. I just think that kids today just aren't very discriminating consumers. As you say, rap music is complete crap and the major music labels seem to insist on trying to weave it into everything. And I blame these non-discriminating youth for making this this atrocity profitable enough for the labels to commit this crime against nature.

Last edited:
Cannot, absolutely cannot concentrate on the task at hand if Ace of Spades comes on (I turn into Animal from the muppets for some reason) and can't concentrate if the noisy woman down the office decides to tell yet another hilarious stroy about how much money she and her husband has at full volume... :mad:
Even if I have no music on I have to bring out the headphones!

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for some new in-ear headphones can anyone recommend any good ones?

Pretty much anything that falls within the R&B/Hip Hop/Rap sprectrums makes me want to murder people.

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for some new in-ear headphones can anyone recommend any good ones?

Try Sennheiser, you can get some pretty good ones without spending an absolute fortune.

Dom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back