What do you do for a living?

They insure themselves for the same reason we do - we offset our risks in case something bad happens. In an insurance company's case, something like a hurricane, or a class action law suit, can suddenly expose them to paying out a lot more claims than they normally would, so they buy protection against that (not necessarily just reinsurance)

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Nope, got the world headquarters for the Reinsurance Group of America (RGA) about two buildings down. Reinsurance is still widely used in the US. :biggrin:

Sorry, I meant the mortgage industry stopped using reinsurance, they call it "Credit default swap" now.

I work as a Communications/Computer Systems officer in the US military but that is just a fancy title for a guy that sits at a desk most of the day inundated with e-mail and taskings from more senior people. All those years of management classes sure weren't very helpful for this job!

One good thing I can give to this job is that it introduced me to MS Excel, and for that I am very thankful!

Owen

Sorry, I meant the mortgage industry stopped using reinsurance, they call it "Credit default swap" now.

Ahhh. Yea, that would make sense for mortgages.

They insure themselves for the same reason we do - we offset our risks in case something bad happens. In an insurance company's case, something like a hurricane, or a class action law suit, can suddenly expose them to paying out a lot more claims than they normally would, so they buy protection against that (not necessarily just reinsurance)

So what type of a company would provide an insurance to an insurance company ? If you dont have an idea about India, you could give a couple of examples in the UK, incase you are aware of any..

One more small question - is this type ("Reinsurance") used in India ? I dont really know but it would be some interesting information to acquire :-D

So what type of a company would provide an insurance to an insurance company ? If you dont have an idea about India, you could give a couple of examples in the UK, incase you are aware of any..

One more small question - is this type ("Reinsurance") used in India ? I dont really know but it would be some interesting information to acquire :-D

A Reinsurance company! :) I think GIC is the main reinsurance company in India.

From nine to five I have to spend my time at work
My job is very boring - I'm an office clerk
The only think that helps me pass the time away
Is knowing that I'll be back at Echo Beach some day

That and looking at Mr Excel.....

Naah- I dont know about GIC as an insurance company, perhaps you wanted to mention about LIC ? LIC (Life Insurance Coporation of India) - is it a reinsurance company ? This term "Reinsurance" is itself a new thingie for me atleast !

thanks for the extensive information you have shared and would be sharing, Rory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hickman156

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back