Things that bother me about excel, and other pet peeves

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Are you downloading directly onto the sheet? If so, you will probably need to delete the Name in which the download query is saved into (if you have this setting applied). You should be able to see if the name exists via the usual Insert>Names>Define route.

I stuck a "1" in A1, selected A1:A2500 or so [Shift + Down arrow] Then Edit, Fill, Series Step Value 1 OK

Then Selected Row 200 and Shift + Page down to the end and then Edit, Clear, All.

The side bar still goes all the way to 2500 or so.

Doesn't work

1. Make sure you go to the end of the document (ie to row 65536 or 1million+ if on xl2007+).
2. Save afterwards (this is critical), close and reopen

1. Make sure you go to the end of the document (ie to row 65536 or 1million+ if on xl2007+).
2. Save afterwards (this is critical), close and reopen

Huh?

Way too much trouble! Wasn't my issue anyway, sour grapes as the say.

Usually when I notice this I'm downloading some pile of data from text and sorting and text to columning [is that a verb?] for a one time deal.

But hey, thanks for the input (-:

Haven't read through all of the suggestions, but let's see:-

1. Select the first blank row of data.
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow
3. Right click in the selection and choose Delete.
4. Save

That *should* do it.

Here's one that bit me smartly on my fanny today:

I take most everyone has seen this dialog box:

This workbook contains links to other data sources.

*If you update the links, Excel will attempt to retrieve the latest data.
*If you don't update the links, Excel will use the previous information.

Note that data links can be used to access and share confidential information without permission and possibly perform other harmful actions. Do not update the links if you do not trust the source of this workbook.

I've stopped trying to rectify the situation and just click on cancel. So does everyone else. Big mistake. If there is a file that changes from time to time, and you're relying on a link to it to make your data correct, and some one moves or removes it! you get the above message. But you have no idea it's your very important file that has been deleted or moved. And Excel as the message says, uses the last data it had access to.

Anyway, and I'll post this on the main board, is there a way to force Excel to display the #N/A error for the broken link instead of telling the lie? Well really, if the file’s been deleted or moved, Excel has no idea what the true value of the "Link" is and is lying when it puts up that last known value and really doesn't tell you except for that opening message.

Very frustrating, the Bill Of Material was moved and then changed, and my Excel file reported the old value just like that.

I've got a huge file with lots of pages and all sorts of people do lots of things including making links to files that after a while get moved or deleted. I can't chase them all down.

So, is there a way to force Excel to "Crash" and put up an error message in the cell where the link is supposed to be?

I'm peeved that 2+2 to Excel gives the answer "2+2," instead of 4.

It seems pretty instinctive that you want to add TWO to TWO, but Excel makes you specifically place a plus or equals sign before the addition (peeve=wasted keystroke).

I'm also peeved by the fact that =PROPER makes SAM'S into Sam'S. Seems pretty clear what I meant. :-(

Okay, I'll stop complaining now.

I'm peeved that 2+2 to Excel gives the answer "2+2," instead of 4.

It seems pretty instinctive that you want to add TWO to TWO, but Excel makes you specifically place a plus or equals sign before the addition (peeve=wasted keystroke).

I'm also peeved by the fact that =PROPER makes SAM'S into Sam'S. Seems pretty clear what I meant. :-(

Okay, I'll stop complaining now.
Yes, it seems like it should take 's into account. But, until it does, you'll just have to deal with it with perhaps:-

Code:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("'",A1)),PROPER(A1),PROPER(LEFT(A1,FIND("'",A1)-1))&"'s")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikachi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back