Things that bother me about excel, and other pet peeves

no VBA? or it's just not installed? By default, VBA has never been included in any install I've done (I've installed standard, business and pro) - I always have to turn it on - select it manually. But it's an option in the setup...

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I have not come across this dummied down version of Excel without VBA, seems odd to me. Sounds like you are talking about Microsoft Works to me, which is another poriduct again.

But my other point was exactly that, Access is separate, so to talk about a Lite vresion of Excel as one without Access is ... well you can fill the rest in.

Could the dummied down version of Excel be part of Microsoft Works?

I've run into more people that work with MS Office at work then buy a home computer following the advice of a salesperson who tells them that MS Works will do anything you need to do at home. Next thing you know, they're begging me to install Office on the home computer because Microsoft left out one or two of the most useful functions in Works.

For my part VBA is what seperates Excel from every other product out there. There are several excellent spreadsheet product out there that I will never bother with because at the end of the limit of the program is the prgrammers imagination. And when have a robust scripting language like VBA then you are limited only by your OWN imagination not someone elses. It's pretty hard to hit the wall with Excel. You'll hit the point of diminishing returns long before you ever come into an "it can't be done situation." In fact I can't think of anytime.. ever... that I have wanted to do something in Excel and not been able to find a way to "get er done". Sometimes I have needed help, but there is always a way.
So when I heard about excel "lite" I just laughed and said "there is a product that I will not be needing".

...to have excel do this backwards drives me off the wall. What is wrong with 12D?

Might as well mention that in math, proper syntax is 2+2=4, but in Excel it is backwards, =2+2, which reults in 4. Does this bother you as well?

...to have excel do this backwards drives me off the wall. What is wrong with 12D?

Might as well mention that in math, proper syntax is 2+2=4, but in Excel it is backwards, =2+2, which reults in 4. Does this bother you as well?
Well except that in math you anything in * = * form is an equality. And you can write an equality a = b + c or c + b = a :wink:

.noops on si ereht oslA ."sdrawkcab" on si ereht taht saw tniop elohw yM .esreverrts.abv htiw detsurt eb t'nac tsuj elpoep emoS *hgis*

:lol:

Yes, you guys are right, I was referring to Microsoft Works that has the dummied down version of Excel with no VBA.

I ordered my computer from Dell a few years ago, and that is what comes standard with it. They advertised this great price on the whole system, but I had to upgrade (for a significant price) to get VBA and Access.

They should call it "Microsoft Works, Except for Serious Programmers"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back