MrExcel #1 on Top 10 List...

All of these people came out of the womb as Excel savvy did they? No, they learnt whatever they know by climbing on the shoulders of real Excel giants. I have no desire to stuff the pockets of _________ and ________.

What exactly makes you think that either ____ or ____ make money out of it? They both have jobs unrelated to EE. Everyone answering questions is a volunteer there, as here.

You also don't need to pay to get started answering questions, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I don't know _________ other than crossing paths with him a few times at EE but I like his response to a question about why he participates in the forum:

If you value knowledge and skills, participation in a support forum by answering questions is its own reward. No matter how much you know when you first start answering questions, you will quickly learn more. The people posting questions frequently use different parts of their hardware and software than you are familiar with. And the experts trying to answer questions have different backgrounds than you do. So participation in the forum is a continuous stream of new experiences.

The above might be justifiably applied to many contributors here and elsewhere, I think.

That extract is from "Cell masters" in Colo's Excel Junkroom

Last edited by a moderator:
I took out a bunch of names in this thread, please don't add them back, they're friends, they know what they're doing, and trying to help people.

Chip's site is the most amazing Excel resource, as a 1st-timer, what-do-I-need, website I have ever seen, in terms of Excel.

I had a chance to sit with Chip, who's a really good guy, for a bus-ride from Redmond to Seattle. I asked him, if I search on "OnTime" and "Pearson", do you pay for that? The answer is no, so, hit up that site.

And ours! :)

I'd also add
http://www.excelguru.ca

I've found some pretty useful stuff on Ken's site.

If we're branching into Access then...
http://www.utteraccess.com
http://www.mvps.org/access
http://www.allenbrowne.com

and good for VBA in Access...
http://www.vb123.com.
http://www.helenfeddema.com

Denis

Denis, for what it's worth I think your site has some pretty cool tips too! :) You may not have as much content as the others but I find yours very easy to read and follow.

Thanks Jon,

Nice compliment! I'm working on some some new stuff at the moment...

Denis

I would love to know the criteria by which you arrive at these results.

I disagree with many of the statements, but for me the list loses all credibility with OzGrid at #2. Two years ago, Ozgrid was a useful site with many good, some great contributors, administered by over-bearing admins and run by a megalomaniac. Today it is a rarely visited carcase run by a megalomaniac.

Bob, I think you need to tell us how you really feel :-)

I would agree, Chip's site not being on the list is wrong. I haven't used it for a while, but when I was learning to program to the VBE(even if I did ignore some of his advice about adding event code programmatically), it was invaluable.
As far as EE goes, yeah, the points are allocated incorrectly sometimes, and sometimes you get great points for an easy answer, and crappy points for a difficult and comprehensive answer. It all balances out in the end though, and anyone there with points in the 200,000+ range know's thier stuff fairly well.

I would agree, Chip's site not being on the list is wrong. I haven't used it for a while, but when I was learning to program to the VBE(even if I did ignore some of his advice about adding event code programmatically), it was invaluable.

I don't use Chip's site personally, but I have read many of the pages there and I know that they are good stuff. It is often an easy response just to point a question at Chip's site. Chip's and Debra's are easily the most frequently referenced pages in my responses, so to me that means that they are both up there.

As far as EE goes, yeah, the points are allocated incorrectly sometimes, and sometimes you get great points for an easy answer, and crappy points for a difficult and comprehensive answer. It all balances out in the end though, and anyone there with points in the 200,000+ range know's thier stuff fairly well.

I just don't agree with charging for information that is freely available elsewhere on the web, and information that I doubt any of the responders at that site paid to obtain. But even worse, the people who do the work just get crappy points. As I said, I don't like the model.

Chip was saying his site gets something crazy, like 18,000 hits, per day. That's a ton of hits for an Excel site, no? :)

(I think he publishes his stats...)

I just don't agree with charging for information that is freely available elsewhere on the web, and information that I doubt any of the responders at that site paid to obtain. But even worse, the people who do the work just get crappy points. As I said, I don't like the model.

I guess EE probably is a good resource and you don't have to answer much to get the free access but although I was tempted to register as an 'expert' to get the free access I was put off by the idea of someone else pocketing a load of dosh for work that I do (that and Rory's a member and that being I can't see many of my answers being picked ;)).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back