FIFA World Cup Wallchart for Excel

parry

MrExcel MVP
Hi all, I'm a keen football fan and have created a World Cup Wallchart in Excel. It's free and can be downloaded from here.

I've just created it so let me know of any bugs or comments - I'd be keen to know what you think. Only 51 days to go 8-) :-D

Features:
Each country has their flag displayed for the matches and the group tables.
A map of Germany is displayed by the matches. When you select the row for the match the row will be highlighted and the city where the match is being played will be coloured red in the map.
The Match Schedule sheet will automatically scroll if your selected row is matchday 33+ and the map will move down
After the scores for a match have been entered the group tables will be updated and sorted by Points, Goal Difference then Goals For.
After each group is complete (i.e. the 6 matches for the group have been played) the round of 16 team names will begin to appear in the match day list.
If there is a tie after extra time in the knockout stages (match day 49 onwards) a box will appear asking you to enter the results of the penalty shootout.

Installation:
Download the World Cup zip file.
Unzip the contents of the zip file to a folder. Note that the Excel file and the image files must be retained in the same folder.
Open the Excel file and select the Enable Macros button. If the Enable Macros button doesn't appear select Tools|Macro Security and amend the security level to Medium then close Excel and re-open the file

regards,
Graham

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Graham,

Sounds cool, but I get a 'the zipped folder is invalid or corrupt' error when I attempt to open the zip...

Hi, I had the same problem as PaddyD on two different machines.

Both were easily fixed by downloading the file for a 2nd time and on both machines the zip extracted OK but only after both downloaded the file again.

Odd but consistent.

TY parry for this, I am sure it will be very handy :)

Regards
Mark

Cheers thanks Mark. So the second link I posted worked straight off or that required 2 downloads?

After some feedback Im going to be making some improvements this weekend to add some extra features and iron out a few things. I'll post again when it's available.

Cheers thanks Mark. So the second link I posted worked straight off or that required 2 downloads?

After some feedback Im going to be making some improvements this weekend to add some extra features and iron out a few things. I'll post again when it's available.

Sorry, I never noticed now if both links gave the same problem on downloading.

Please do let us know if you update the file won't you :)

Ta
Mark

Hi Mark, some major changes going on to add a few extra things so taking a bit of time. Unfortunately work is getting in the way of my development. :lol:
Should be finished by the end of this week so I'll post when thunderbirds are go.

However, I might need to post a question on the board to determine the best way on how you sort the groups. The official FIFA rules can be found at http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/WC06-English.pdf and in particular see pg17.

So if points are tied it doesnt go by goal diff then goals for but a series of criteria based upon the results of the teams that are tied on points. Pain in the a** as its not that straight-forward to automate.

Hey Graham,

I downloaded the second link and it worked first go. Cool workbook!
I'll definitely be using it to keep track... :-D

Denis

Some thoughts on the sorting -- I'm guessing you will need some kind of scratch table for checking the data. There are 3 possibilities of teams ending up equal, with comments below.

1. 2 Teams equal on points
Compare the one match they played against each other.
If one team won, they sort higher. If not:
Goal Diff all matches
Goals Scored all matches
Draw lots

2. 3 Teams equal on points
For each team, calculate:
Total points minus points earned vs 4th team
Total goal diff minus GD against 4th team
Total goals scored minus GS against 4th team
GD all matches
GS all matches
Draw lots

3. 4 Teams equal on points
GD all matches
GS all matches
Draw lots

Effectively, options 1 and 2 both involve a tie-break team. For option 1, you include the tie-break team; for option 2, you exclude it (and in this case, the tie-break is the same for all 3 teams).

No solutions as yet, but hopefully this will help the thought processes :-D

Denis

Hi mate, worked it out - definitely the longest procedure in the whole workbook. :-)

Can sort everything right up to drawing lots. I will add a button on the sheet or something to put in the results of the lots if it comes down to that.

Need to do some testing to see its working OK. You up for it? Send me a PM if so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back