Facing Redundancy - AGAIN!!

Headcount at my particular facility when I started eleven years ago: 300+. Five or six years ago came elimination of a couple of departments whose jobs were automated away. So 280 or so left. Then three years ago a big one -- outsourcing logistics jobs to a 3rd party provider who paid 30-40% per hour what we had. That cut headcount to 130 or so. Last year outsourced first-tier phone jobs to Manila -- so down to 100 or so. Last month moved 2nd tier phone jobs to another state to "consolidate all CS phone ops into one location." So now we're sitting at about 75 or so. Only five core departments left. Best guess is all are probably good for another two years. Nonetheless, I will be updating my resumé over the winter.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Management move would now happen and I received a termination letter effective June 30. It took them almost 4 months to find my replacement because of unique combination of skills required by this job (including Excel), so my termination agreement was renegotiated with a deadline of December 31.

Sorry to hear that akash011 -- times are hard for sure...

I prefer to look at it this way -- if you have a unique skill-set that makes you hard to replace for your existing company it means 2 things

a) someone else is going to need you as your skill-set is scarce
b) whomever it is that hires you will be a better place for your presence

I think sometimes in this climate it's easy to lose sight of who is really working for whom ... no one I know would admit to working for a hobby - thus if you're good at what you do (and possibly even if you're not!) there's always going to be someone who needs you and if the people you work for don't appreciate that that's there look out right ? Moreover I'd always prefer to work somewhere where I know they're over the moon to have me as opposed to working somewhere where I'm viewed in budget terms as a 1*40% more expensive than a 1 in a different geographic location.

Obviously losing your job is crappy but someone else's loss is someone else's gain ... remember Newton's 3rd law!

(ok, it wasn't technically designed with employment in mind but I'm sure Newton would approve of it's usage in this context and if not that's tough given he's dead'n'all).

All the best to all who are looking for new jobs...

It struck me reading through this thread that the word redundant is a brutal word. Are the companies trying to feel better about letting you go/firing/terminating or is there some legal obligation they are trying to get out of ??? Corporate lingo is so lame...

As if those facing "redundancy" are less impacted by such a pansy word.
I have been blessed as I have only had to hear such words a couple of times, but before I had a family to look after...

Anyway, good hunting and go well friends.

I had an interview at a place in Leeds yesterday, which went well so fingers crossed:)

You're all heart fella, I need to be able to afford my nice holidays so might need a little more than that.

I'm being interviewed for a promotion next week so fingers crossed for that and that you land yourself a plum roll soon enough.

Dom

OK, i can possibly stretch to £600:biggrin::rofl:

How did you get on Dom?

OK, i can possibly stretch to £600:biggrin::rofl:

How did you get on Dom?

Now you're talking my kind of money!!! Interview's tomorrow but I'm tempted not to bother with an offer like that ;).

Where was the interview Mark? Hope it wasn't for the job I'm going for :eeek:!!!

Now you're talking my kind of money!!! Interview's tomorrow but I'm tempted not to bother with an offer like that ;).

Where was the interview Mark? Hope it wasn't for the job I'm going for :eeek:!!!

You have PM Dom

Good luck Mark & Dom.

I’ve always felt that redundancy is a cruel punishment. In the UK, they have to tell you “your job is at risk” and allow a “consultancy” period. Even though both you and the company knows the end result, they have to stretch this exquisite method of torture out. This forces you to attend work (and perhaps actually do some) for a month, then receive either the one, or three months notice, again with attendance.

However I do feel the worst method is short working. You end up by being paid for the days you attend, two or three days a week. – This forces the more desperate to look for other work – without any payoff if they do leave, and the remainder to use up their savings effectively shoring up the company.

See attached link to a company close to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7720823.stm

It’s a BBC link so should be virus free and definitely safe for work!

Good luck Mark & Dom.

I’ve always felt that redundancy is a cruel punishment. In the UK, they have to tell you “your job is at risk” and allow a “consultancy” period. Even though both you and the company knows the end result, they have to stretch this exquisite method of torture out. This forces you to attend work (and perhaps actually do some) for a month, then receive either the one, or three months notice, again with attendance.

However I do feel the worst method is short working. You end up by being paid for the days you attend, two or three days a week. – This forces the more desperate to look for other work – without any payoff if they do leave, and the remainder to use up their savings effectively shoring up the company.

See attached link to a company close to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7720823.stm

It’s a BBC link so should be virus free and definitely safe for work!

Exactly my thoughts - I am on consultation at the moment & it's driving me nuts, soul destroying doing the work on a day to day basis:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back