Facing Redundancy - AGAIN!!

It's contagious! Our co. is also undergoing reorg. We're losing 17500 jobs worldwide, and being a corporate division we are being heavily hit (our UK div around 650 heads - losing approx 100). Fortunately I'm safe, but nobody goes unscathed. I'm having to absorb so much more work - as inevitably the jobs done by those made redundant are far from redundant!

I'm going part-time in January to pursue my consultancy career. I'm petrified that I won't secure enough contracts - but fortunately I can always go full time again!

My sympathies mate! I hope you manage a longer xmas break :) No too long tho! ;)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Thanks for all the good wishes guys, its appreciated

I have a meeting in 2 hours which will then put me on a 30 day consultation period (which they have to do by law)

I am looking at taking redundancy as i know there are no other suitable roles on this site which are available at the moment & inevitably this company are on their way down...........

Dom - If i find a job in Leeds we'll have to do lunch (Liquid that is :laugh:)

absquatulation - I'm on the same thinking lines as you, i emailed 30 or so agencies last week, so fingers crossed:)

klb - sounds like your going through a much rougher time, good luck

Jon - Thanks for the best wishes

If you relocated and moved 120 miles to the job, would that not be an option? Wouldn't you then not have to commute a long distance?

I relocated 2 years ago, 600 miles from my former city, but my new company paid $5,000 for relocation expenses.

Just curious, what are some reasons you would not move? How about any others, would you not move for the job?

Best of luck with the job search.

What if you relcocate 120 miles and then 12 months later you lose your job again and you've also moved 120 miles away from your friends and your life.

I firmly believe in fitting work around your life and not your work. I would think twice about even taking a job outside of Leeds city centre. The only place I've ever been mildly tempted with was London when I finished university but once I'd been down to see friends a few times knew it wasn't for me (the commuting put me off for a start).

Also at the sort of level I'm at I very much doubt anyone would pay me $500 let alone $5000 to move me to work for them.

Life is risky to be sure. Perhaps Americans are more transient citizens than the UK folk. Growing up I lived on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, in the mountains and plains of Colorado, the Gulf coast of Florida, and the Shenandoah valley of Virginia. I guess I don't know what it is like to stay in one place too long.

What if you relcocate 120 miles and then 12 months later you lose your job again and you've also moved 120 miles away from your friends and your life.

I firmly believe in fitting work around your life and not your work. I would think twice about even taking a job outside of Leeds city centre. The only place I've ever been mildly tempted with was London when I finished university but once I'd been down to see friends a few times knew it wasn't for me (the commuting put me off for a start).

Also at the sort of level I'm at I very much doubt anyone would pay me $500 let alone $5000 to move me to work for them.

Dom, I'll pay you £500 (a year) to come and work for me :biggrin:

You're all heart fella, I need to be able to afford my nice holidays so might need a little more than that.

I'm being interviewed for a promotion next week so fingers crossed for that and that you land yourself a plum roll soon enough.

Dom

Good luck with the interview Dom.

I agree with you that work needs to fit around a person's life. My option was to stay in a major metropolitan area with friends and family or move to a small town of 25,000 people and the only people I would know would be work associates. Called that a "no-brainer".
My boss and others have moved and some are having a difficult time of it. Some are now back in Minneapolis looking for jobs in tough times.

The move has to be right for the person and their family.

Ain't it a *****. Two years ago when I was reassigned to Northern California from the San Diego area, I was told that I could stay in SD, but knew my head would be on the block, so I took the company's moving allowance and moved up here. Unfortunately, we couldn't sell our newly purchased house down south and had no choice but to let it go to foreclosure (in one of the hardest hit foreclosure markets in California). 5-10 years ago the company would have paid the lesser of my expenses until the house sold, this time I was lucky to keep the job.

Now we're going through our third or fourth round of RIF's, so I'm just glad to be employed, but the old resume has been polished up for a while and the active search is on...

Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back