Evaluating a formula

How do you evaluate a formula?

• Just go to Mr. Excel and asks why its not working.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I use the formula dialog boxes and click on each function to see what shows as the results for that section.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I tend to use the auditor, though if the formula is too long for it I will break the formula down on another worksheet and use substitutions as I recreate the formula across multiple cells.

I'd like to know how some of the heavy hitters around here do it...Aladin, Dominic, etc...

Putting it on several lines with alt+enter

Neat idea, Erik.

With a tough formula I usually use F9, and sometimes work out the pieces in multiple cells. Almost no experience with the evaluation tool - but sometimes I'll enlist it when asked by others for help with a formula that's not working (seems to be a nice way to jump into a formula you've never seen before).

I use the evaluate formula command.

However, on certain types of complex array formulas (and some not so complex!) using evaluate formula will crash Excel 2002. I've ranted about this in the MS Excel ngs.

I've learned to recognize formulas that will do this and avoid evaluating them unless I'm really stuck on troubleshooting the formula (doesn't happen that often! :biggrin:). In that case I reduce the referenced ranges to about 5 or 10 cells.

on certain types of complex array formulas (and some not so complex!) using evaluate formula will crash Excel 2002

Even I have used Excel 2002 for quite a while and I have never experienced this issue anyday. Perhaps, the Processor and the RAM too play a major role while computing these array formulae over large ranges ?

Something which has been mentioned yet... for array formulas I often use array ranges to break down each array component. Particularly handy to get to grips with the dimensions of an array or to use with large arrays - sometimes I find a long list of commas and semicolons hard to picture in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back