Evaluating a formula

How do you evaluate a formula?

• Just go to Mr. Excel and asks why its not working.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

schielrn

I just thought I'd put it out there to see what people use, since I have seen it debated for evaluating formula results.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Other: Microsoft Word!

I copy the formula over to Word, and break it down it outline form, almost as if I was writing idented VBA code (its about the only thing Word is good for!). Makes it easy to see if I am missing parentheses and such (like for those nested IF statements).

That's just the way I think! It works for me.

Last edited:
I tend to use Formula Auditing -- pure habit, but will check out the F9 trick too.
And I agree with Joe; with a megaformula, sometimes the only way to see what you did is break out the text into Word or Notepad, and lay out each step.

Denis

Just FYI you can somewhat break down the formula directly in the formula bar using alt + enter to separate the components.

I like the step in functionality of the Evaluate Formula tool, though if it's hard enough that I cannot just write it and would need to break it down, then I probably split it into several cells at the beginning and got each component to work and then assembled it into an überformula. For array formulae, definitely the Evaluate Formula tool.

I'm like Mr Truby. For a complex formula with nested functions, I'll break it into it's various components to ensure the sum of all the components gives me the reult I'm looking for, then bundle it all together into one formula.

Same here. Breaking up the whole formula into smaller chunks and executing each chunk seperately and I use one of the software called "Editplus" for Arrays and large complex functions.

I like the auditing tool and the step in functionaility, but it doesn't always break down every component.

For me I also occassionally use the function wizard, particularly where the formula involves many worksheet functions. The formula wizard will show the result of each worksheet function and the arguments of each. I find that very useful...

For me I also occassionally use the function wizard, particularly where the formula involves many worksheet functions. The formula wizard will show the result of each worksheet function and the arguments of each. I find that very useful...
I didn't think of this either, as I have done this before as well.

Using same methods as already explained:
Breaking down into cells
Putting it on several lines with alt+enter
Sometimes, when tired or in a playful mood: trial and error and a lot of chance :)
Often just looking over Aladins shoulder :biggrin:

kind regards,
Erik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back