Do you have any Excel OCD habits?

Hmmm, I can think of one regular'ish contributor to another forum I frequent that almost always posts code which takes me an age to understand when an extra couple of lines would have made it so straightforward. It could just be me being a bit thick though.

It's not just you. He seems to think that shorter is necessarily better (amongst his other delusions) and doesn't see how it's incredibly unhelpful to give code like that to people who don't know what they are doing with VBA. The irony of his signature is inescapable too. ;)

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
There are definitely a number of peope that believe the shorter the code the better. But often efficiency comes by adding a few extra lines, and sometimes a few extra lines makes it so much easier to follow.

The same applies to formula. I have learned the hard way that often a stepped approach so much better than a double-jointed nested formula. By the hard way I mean I have paid the price when I have had to amend my own spreadsheets and then had to unwravel my own formula.

Not really - by the time they work out you're indispensable, they've already got rid of you...

People who think that code should be as short and unintelligible as possible, should be shot.
AT BIRTH!

Not to mention those 30 yard long Offset, R1C1, STDEVP formulas.

Gotta love being asked to unravel some ignorantly convoluted Index/Match STDEVP formula with 64 nested IFs that some goof wrote and says "it was working just fine but now it 'doesn't work...' " :mad:

Not really - by the time they work out you're indispensable, they've already got rid of you...

I found maternity leave quite handy here - my cover was done by someone who thought that advanced Excel was knowing how to create a pivot table - very gratifying to have people genuinely miss you :biggrin:

So is there possibly anything left to be OCD about? You've got all mine, well the top 50 or so.

Prolly all I could add is to point out is my abhorance of "the meddling boss" or "aspiring underling" who hacks your sheets when your not around and then wonders why, a week later, something doesn't work. then it takes hours of tracing to find an utterly illogical error that one would never concieve of even if intoxicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back