Do you have any Excel OCD habits?

Oh no you won't! (well, it is panto season)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Well, while I have done almost all of the above - I guess I'm the only one that has a pet peeve of gridlines. Annoy the he11 outta me.

Before moving to Excel 2007 my Personal Macro Workbook dated back to like 1998 and the very first macro I put a macrito in there so that a quick Ctrl+Shift+G would toggle gridlines.

@ Tina - I taught Excel seminars around the country the first six months of 2010 and the workbook the seminar company used had a section on the Merge and Centerbutton. Whenever we got to that section I instructed the class to draw horns and a pitchfork on the image of the button. Personally I think the button's icon should be: :diablo:

... My worst is the nasty format SAP exports reports in. ...
x2, but I have jumped up a notch or two (That puts me on notch two...) in my bosses' eyes by automating the re-format and combination of several reports, saving both of them (my bosses) at least half an hour per week.

But don't get me started on the sheets from one of our USA offices in the 2007 format that can't be opened by 2003, since the creator has the table running the wrong way. Seriously, who puts the date across the columns, and the fields down the rows? (Is that the right terminology?) Records should go across, people!!

1. Gridlines turned off (especially if the worksheet contains borders)

2. Maintaining similar formatting throughout the worksheet. I have seen colleagues copy paste from everywhere changing the formatting and leaving it just as is. Irritates the hell out of me :) ... just recently there was a colleague who pasted info on cells containing CF and was wondering why the formatting wasn't working....:smile:

3. VLOOKUP is NOT the answer to every Excel problem :biggrin:

4. People behaving as if they are Excel Gurus and filling up the worksheet with n number of formulae.

I have seen a spread sheet where the person wanted to find out the number of times someone has been on leave (annual or sick) in the month. He had (in columns beyond Z) formula like =IF(A3 = "Annual",1,0) and so on.... for all employees for all days for all types of holidays .... and at the end the SUM.... this SUM was linked to a summary page. I was like WTF!!!!!!! :biggrin:

On the subject of styles, this is useful.

My first 2003 macro in my personal macro workbook was one that formated my MSAccess query dumps into a consistant format, it also took care of all my printing setup and headers and footers. Don't know if styles can do the printing and headers or not.

My second macro was one to toggle the **** grid lines, although I've gotten over that little OCD issue now:-)

I guess my main two 'things' are formatting & code indenting.
I don't care much about colors and what-not (I don't usually add them much but I don't care if they're there), but what pushes me closer to completely insane (than I already am) is not having the text & numbers line up in the columns. I hate (hate, hate, hate :mad: ) having the text values on the left and the number values on the right of the same column. They don't even look like they go together. Most everything in my sheets are centered in the columns.

The other thing is indenting the code. So far, I haven't given up on threads with lots of code and no code tags or indenting, but the very first thing I do is get it into the vbe and set it up to look like it's supposed to before even trying to figure out the problem.
(Interestingly, about 70% of the time you can find the problem while you're setting it up this way, which tells me that if people set it up correctly by habit, the question I'm working on probably wouldn't even have been asked.)

Yep, if it weren't for those two things, all would be right with the world. :rolleyes:

(oh yeah, can't forget the 3rd OCD behavior, making sure Pink Floyd is good & loud!) :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back