Do you have any Excel OCD habits?

Several years ago someone posted a simple code snippet that cracks worksheet passwords. It's come in useful more than once.

The amount of bacon I've saved over the years with that little bit of code. Of course I make people grovel suitably before I ask them to turn their backs while I work my 'magic'. Password cracked and that'll be one beer you owe me ;-)

Dom

DISCLAIMER - Not that I condone the promotion of the ability to crack passwords or circumvent security in any way

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
The amount of bacon I've saved over the years with that little bit of code. Of course I make people grovel suitably before I ask them to turn their backs while I work my 'magic'. Password cracked and that'll be one beer you owe me ;-)

Dom

DISCLAIMER - Not that I condone the promotion of the ability to crack passwords or circumvent security in any way

Absolutely. I have used it only where a client wants some work done and one of their former employees has locked down a sheet and left the business.
Makes them rethink their ideas about Excel having any security...

Denis

Another one that probably shouldn't annoy me is omitting optional arguments from worksheet functions such as match and vlookup. I know they're optional but the amount of people I see using vlookup and not even knowing there's a 4th argument and wondering why they aren't getting the results they expect. The even scarier thing is how long it takes to spot this sometimes.

I'll echo this. I'm guilty of omitting arguments in my workseet functions for solutions posted to this board, e.g:
=MATCH(9.99E+307,A:A)
...should be:
=MATCH(9.99E+307,A:A,1)

We are taught to be explicit in our VBA coding (PEDII even suggests we should complete all arguments, even if populating with the default), so I think the same care should be taken with worksheet functions.

I just get wound up by the little things, first things first is all the disgusting colours people use to make it look nice. Most of the time it's not even consistant so it's just a worksheet with hundreds of luminous yellow highlighting dotted here, there and everywhere.

After that, and probably my most pathetic OCD tendency, is extra sheets on workbooks with no purpose. They are deleted VERY quickly
(I have my Excel defaulted to 1 worksheet, if I need more I'll add them myself thank you very much).

The biggest thing that effects me most in my day to day job is people pasting into fields on spreadsheets completely overwriting validation, and it's always in some horrible font (Comic Sans I'm looking at you!) in some awful colour, with a background colour. YAK YAK! :mad:

I'm currently writing a macro that will 'correct' all the sheets before saving :diablo:

I am baffled by the ability to have a default of 255 worksheets in 2007.

It's for if you want one for every working day in the year ;-)

Dom

I am baffled by the ability to have a default of 255 worksheets in 2007.

I coundn't even wrap my mind around what hell you were talking about, mostly because I can't even comprehend wanting 255 sheets in my excel workbook as a default opening value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back