Do you have any Excel OCD habits?

I'm waiting until you can put pictures on the tabs - perhaps even small thumbnails of the sheets.

That might save the user actually looking at the worksheets.:)

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
So now we can hear from those that hate tab colors. :)

Yeah, that would be me. A couple of my finance colleagues colour tabs - probably in the spirit that you describe, except that I don't know what the colours signify. And they're not even nice pastel colours!

Yeah, that would be me. A couple of my finance colleagues colour tabs - probably in the spirit that you describe, except that I don't know what the colours signify. And they're not even nice pastel colours!

You're right - unless you know the key or it's part of a widely known SOP, doing it for that reason wouldn't help a lot. However, I color the tabs for two reasons -
(a) grouping like information or showing which "color" of a worksheet it is. I will frequently use say a blue accent on Report A and a green accent on Report B, perhap purple on Report C and color the tabs to correspond. Folks pick up on color coordination pretty quickly. And
(b) If the tabs are colored, then it helps (doesn't guarantee it - but it helps) make it likely that I'll notice that I'm in group mode. Less of an issue these days. But I've had cases in the past where I would be editing several worksheets in group mode and the phone would ring or a colleague would stop by and when I returned to Excel, I'd forget I was in group mode and make a royal mess of things.

You could take things further - colour every single cell with data based on the type of data in it and/or the value.

For ease of use you could add a legend to the right.

Could be useful for some 'models'.:)

i'm waiting until you can put pictures on the tabs - perhaps even small thumbnails of the sheets.

That might save the user actually looking at the worksheets.:)

dude i i want to do that so bad

I compulsively answer Excel questions - does that count?

Hey, I didn't say my tab coloring was useful or effective, it's just one of my habits. Another thing I hate is really long tab names. Having to scroll right to find the fourth tab because the names are too long is a pain. But I guess if the tabs were all pretty pictures I'd enjoy it... once. Oh, and I don't like spaces in tab names. When typing/editing a formula I can never remember which side of the ! the ' goes.

Rick

Like Greg, I like to color tabs of like information. I have one workbook with about 45 sheets. 15 are individual branches, 3 are regions, 3 are purely informational and the rest are departmental; each color group has its own formatting, columns, etc.

For some reason, I always use orange for sheets of data tables--don't know why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back