Do you have any Excel OCD habits?

Also bought one of those print refill kits, stained the desk a lovely colour.:)

***WAY OFF TOPIC***

I've always been STRONGLY against refilling ink cartridges (even buying professionally filled ones). I've done a LOT of independent research on printers and ink (used to sell them for a living), and I can honestly say that you will get a cheaper cost per page when buying the name-brand cartridges. There are several reasons for this:

1. The print heads in the cartridges are meant to be used for 1 cycle, and they cannot be cleaned in a cost-effective way. This leads to clogging. And the circuit boards on the cartridges are, again, only built for one cycle. They can build up corrosion.
  2. Approx 30% of refilled cartridges fail in the first 20 pages.
  3. The formulation of ink put in the cartridges is NOT the same formula as the cartridge was intended. For example, HP uses a formula that is able to be dropped in droplets half the size of Epson or Canon. The result is that HP does not need a light cyan and light magenta cartridge to get the wider array of colors. The ink tends to be a bit thicker in refilled cartridges, as they rely less on pigmentation and more on filler. Pigmentation is what costs so much.
  4. If your printer, itself, fails while under use of a refilled cartridge, the manufacturer will not honor their warranty.
  5. Refilled cartridges get, on average, only 60% of the pages a genuine cartridge would have in it. Largely due to #1, #2, and #3 above. Also, depending how the cartridge was emptied (or how many times it was used), there is a high chance of there being ink-buildup on the inside of the cartridge. Thus making it contain less liquid ink, and a higher chance of clogging.
Also, when I worked at an office supply store about 8 years back, we had a customer who bought one of our brand cartridges, and used it in their printer. The circuit board had a bit of corrosion on it, which caused something to glitch in the printer. The printer effectively was telling the cartridge to drain ink, even when it wasn't being used. Needless to say, the entire cartridge drained out into the printer, which made its way through the cracks of the printer onto their desk, and eventually down onto their carpet. We had to replace their carpet, desk, and printer for them.

I don't know about you, but saving $4 isn't worth the potential headaches caused by remanufactured/refilled cartridges.

And that being said, there is a LOT of difference between printer companies and what area of printing they specialize in. If anyone has questions, hit me up. I will just say that Brother inkjet printers, Dell printers, and Lexmark printers are horrible. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
:confused: No comprendo. Are those words Chinese or Croation or something? :confused:

Nah, he's just starting to learn "Truby". :rolleyes:

Now what about used motor oil for chainsaw lubricant? It's a lot cheaper and seems to work just fine for me, although there is a bit more sling off of the bar because of the viscosity breakdown...

Last edited:
Sounds like some sort of really invasive and embarrassing medical probe! Does that sounds about right Dom? :biggrin:

Or one of the 13 pints you drank was 'rogue'. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun post, figured I'd join the party and throw in another OCD. I can't believe nobody has brought it up yet. I hate workbooks with a bunch of sheet tabs all the same color. I try to color the tabs with some sort of meaning (yellow tabs require user input, black for instructions, blue for raw data...). So now we can hear from those that hate tab colors. :)

Oh, and I hate the 2007 default pivot setup. First step is to switch to classic mode. Who is it that decided taking away drag/drop functionality was an improvement?

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back